Thread: Comcast Cable

asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    I hate how slow my upload and download is. So i was thinking of buying another modem. Would it work, to double my speed?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Only if you get another access point too. Of course that will cost you twice as much, and unless you are already maxing out your connection it probably won't make any difference.

It would be far better to get the speed of your existing connection increased if possible.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    Only if you get another access point too. Of course that will cost you twice as much, and unless you are already maxing out your connection it probably won't make any difference.

It would be far better to get the speed of your existing connection increased if possible.

I am maxing out mine. Comcastonly increses from 3 megabits/sec to 4 megabits/sec

What do you mean another access point?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    You can only fit one modem on the cable line, just like you can only fit one analogue modem on a phone line.

So if you want a second cable modem you have to have a second cable access point just in the same way that to have a second analogue modem you would need a second phone line. It is called an access point because once it gets onto the cable it is shared anyway.

But it is just like having 2 lots of cable coming into your home, so it costs twice as much, at least for the internet access.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.