Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transferring files to one PC to another!!!

sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    Hello,
    I just bought a new Pc…and now I want to put all the files I had on my old computer to new Pc…I really don’t want to download and install everything again….I have over 30 gigs of softwares,files and other stuff that I need to put on my new PC. How can I do that…. transferring stuff from one Pc to another?

Thnx for ur time,
    Cheers :-)

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    you could put the hard drive from the old one into the new one, and just leave it like that, or copy from there to your new drive. doing the transferr internally will be the fastest way to transfer

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    manker's Avatar effendi
    You just need to connect the two PCs with an ethernet crossover cable. Plug it in and away to go
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    You just need to connect the two PCs with an ethernet crossover cable. Plug it in and away to go
    you mean the cat5 cable? doesn't that for connecting internet...will that work in transfering stuff?

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yeah, that's it. You use it for transferring stuff from the internet ... so ..

I just found a guide too. Looks fairly comprehensive.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    IMO it's just easier to put the hard drive into the new computer to copy the data. It's faster and easier to do than networking.

But if you want to leave the computers connected then the corssover idea would be good.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Yeah, that's it. You use it for transferring stuff from the internet ... so ..

I just found a guide too. Looks fairly comprehensive.
    but i already have cat5 wire at my place....i don't think there is need to make one.....thnx for da guide anyways....

Ok so once the wires are connected, what should i do then? How do i send files to other computer?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    IMO it's just easier to put the hard drive into the new computer to copy the data.
    U mean that i should put the old pc hard drive into new pc......so it means that i will have 2 hard drives for the new PC....than i just copy the stuff i want from the old drive and send it to new one? Copy or past/ drag from old drive to new drive!!! Is that's wat u sayin?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by sameer0807
    U mean that i should put the old pc hard drive into new pc......so it means that i will have 2 hard drives for the new PC....than i just copy the stuff i want from the old drive and send it to new one? Copy or past/ drag from old drive to new drive!!! Is that's wat u sayin?
    YA, THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!!!

edit: for the other way you need a crossover cable not jsut a regular cable.
    once it's connected run teh network setup wizard on each compute. or if one of them isn't windows XP then tell us and we can explain how to set up manually.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Meh. I don't like taking the case off the PC if I don't have to. The XP network thing is pretty basic.

However, in general I am scared of hardware so it follows I'd go with the crossover idea

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast