Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: edUKation

I need to know the alternative names for the following act:

When you grab someone by the back of their underwear and lift them in the air by them. Hanging them on a coat rack is optional.

Typically done by your friends' older brothers.

We call them Wedgies in Texas and Grudgies(for the underwear stain) in Missouri.

What is this called in the UK or elsewhere?

This is important stuff, I need to know for work tomorrow. I don't want to appear ignorant.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    As this piece of social interaction appears to have originated stateside it goes by the official wedgie name as far as I know.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. Lounge   -   #3
    the arse burn of death

4. Lounge   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Ever since Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey it's been known among my peers as a 'melvyn' - I'm sure that's an Americanism too tho'.

There is probably a UK equivalent that pre-dated this but I can't think of it
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    hmmm..my aunt had a dog named melvin.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I don't recall this being done in my day. Guddling about with another boy's underwear was considered definitely iffy and the mere sight of girls underwear would have induced a near euphoric condition that would have rendered all forms of attack inoperative.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. Lounge   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    I don't recall this being done in my day. Guddling about with another boy's underwear was considered definitely iffy and the mere sight of girls underwear would have induced a near euphoric condition that would have rendered all forms of attack inoperative.

After I'd written my post I did start to think that prior to that film I couldn't remember anyone getting wedgied/melvyned. I assumed it had slipped my mind, but maybe not.

We give them the pilgrim fathers, they give us an underwear-based form of attack.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Ever since Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey it's been known among my peers as a 'melvyn' - I'm sure that's an Americanism too tho'.

There is probably a UK equivalent that pre-dated this but I can't think of it
    A "melvyn", as I understand it is equivalent to a "camel toe" and named for the shape of the letter M or a camels hoof.

Ok, so the point was clear, I just wanted to post the picture.

If this is an American creation, then whomever said that there was nothing new under the sun was wrong. And with this added to this list, what great things does the future hold?

9. Lounge   -   #9
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I guess the comic geniuses (genii? ) who created the materpiece known as Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey adjusted the meaning of this word to suit their needs.

The next time I grimace at seeing some 5'9" 14 stone scrum half getting melvyned I shall think only of the above pic. Cheers, Hobbes

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I guess the comic geniuses (genii? ) who created the materpiece known as Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey adjusted the meaning of this word to suit their needs.

The next time I grimace at seeing some 5'9" 14 stone scrum half getting melvyned I shall think only of the above pic. Cheers, Hobbes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast