Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Now this is where I draw the line!!!!!

kicker of elves
    Anyone familiar with Kathleen Parker (she's a regular in the Chicago Tribune op-ed page) knows she's a right-wing hack. She practically writes columns like that in her sleep by now.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by scroff
    ROFL!!!!

If you liked that article, you'll love Ann Coulter.....
    I very much dislike her. I think she is a bitch tbh.

She would probably consider that a badge of honor.

She is either a blind follower or a conniving one.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-23-2004 at 06:44 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Helto
    Anyone familiar with Kathleen Parker (she's a regular in the Chicago Tribune op-ed page) knows she's a right-wing hack. She practically writes columns like that in her sleep by now.
    These articles were written by her. Right wing, Left wing. I try to read both perspectives, but that is what they are. Extremely biased perspectives.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I wish I had the time to parse this column for you all.

You have all missed the point by such a wide margin that I am stunned, and I hate trying to get to sleep when I have been stunned.

If only I had been slightly less curious when I was prompted to peek....

Nasty.

You know I need my rest.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    What have I started?

I have not read this piece but the general refrain appears to take up the theme of other pieces I saw.

Lots of fun - as long as you don't take any of it seriously.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    Poster
    [QUOTE=j2k4]

You have all missed the point by such a wide margin that I am stunned, and I hate trying to get to sleep when I have been stunned.

QUOTE]

I spent 18 years of my life letting myself be ridiculed by a man every time I voiced my opinion, to the point where I stopped even forming them. Sometimes I still cannot just come out with it. At these times, I try to show, by my actions what I mean. I don't think I would have felt the need to do this. But Hobbes has expressed the same things I have thought about propoganda being included in posts. And no one is listening to him.

I tried to lead people through it by posting an example of it and showing how it made me feel, any propoganda.

It got out of hand, I got worn out with expressing my anger at the propoganda, and didn't teach anyone anything.

You are right, J2. I thought I could see it though and make a point, but I couldn't. No one would get my point, because of my inability to come right out with it.
    Last edited by Everose; 10-23-2004 at 03:59 AM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    [QUOTE=Everose]
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

QUOTE]

I spent 18 years of my life letting myself be ridiculed by a man every time I voiced my opinion, to the point where I stopped even forming them. Sometimes I still cannot just come out with it. At these times, I try to show, by my actions what I mean. I don't think I would have felt the need to do this. But Hobbes has expressed the same things I have thought about propoganda being included in posts. And no one is listening to him.

I tried to lead people through it by posting an example of it and showing how it made me feel, any propoganda.

It got out of hand, I got worn out with expressing my anger at the propoganda, and didn't teach anyone anything.

You are right, J2. I thought I could see it though and make a point, but I couldn't. No one would get my point, because of my inability to come right out with it.
    Practice makes perfect You don't think I was just born with my uncanny ability irritate everyone? Remember, the times you actually make someone rethink themselves is a great victory, a rare moment to be savored.

But always remember to consider that YOU could be wrong, so be sure to read their posts thoroughly. Sometimes people have seen a side of a situation you never considered.

The key is to learn to drop it and walk away when the person you are talking to is attempting to deflect, redirect or intentionally misunderstand you. If you ask specific questions and they don't tackle them head on, point for point, they are probably just liars attempting to keep their self delusion alive. Feck'em.

Always consider that YOU could be wrong, so be sure to read their posts thoroughly. Sometime people have seen a side of a situation you never considered.

I remember one guy who I keep rephrasing my posts to. "No, that is not what I meant. I meant ...". It finally dawned on me that this was his game. He had no intention of dropping his lies. I sent him a PM apologizing for my naivette. I just don't understand holding an agenda in the face of truth. Anyway I dismissed him to his cold angry world.

Oddly enough when people stated to ignore him, he left.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    I remember one guy who I keep rephrasing my posts to. "No, that is not what I meant. I meant ...". It finally dawned on me that this was his game. He had no intention of dropping his lies. I sent him a PM apologizing for my naivette. I just don't understand holding an agenda in the face of truth. Anyway I dismissed him to his cold angry world.

Either 1234 or leftism?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Practice makes perfect You don't think I was just born with my uncanny ability irritate everyone? Remember, the times you actually make someone rethink themselves is a great victory, a rare moment to be savored.

People on this board have done this for me, led me through the rethinking of my position. They are smart enough to know that sometimes it does take a little 'fertilizer'. As long as they are aware that I am smart enough to recognize 'fertilizer' when I see it, I might add.

But always remember to consider that YOU could be wrong, so be sure to read their posts thoroughly. Sometimes people have seen a side of a situation you never considered.

This is where I have tried to be what I originally termed 'open-minded'. I am looking for a better term to express this concept. Do you have any suggestions?

The key is to learn to drop it and walk away when the person you are talking to is attempting to deflect, redirect or intentionally misunderstand you. If you ask specific questions and they don't tackle them head on, point for point, they are probably just liars attempting to keep their self delusion alive. Feck'em.

I understand what you are saying here. From the position of having asked specific questions and those specific questions being deflected, redirected, or reformed. I also remember deflecting redirecting and pretending to intentionally misunderstand a person because I didn't think he could deal with what I was really trying to say without a lot more mental gymanstics and I had grown weary.

A person who I consider a friend on this board once told me, when I expressed my concern about what I saw as biased viewpoints that sometimes when all you have gotten from the other candidate is bias and propoganda, you start having to fight back with a little bit of your own. I have a lot of respect for that person telling me that. I understand both the frustration and wisdom in this, but I also feel it becomes a never ending circle and ends up making it hard to ascertain, or get to, the original fact in the statement.

Always consider that YOU could be wrong, so be sure to read their posts thoroughly. Sometime people have seen a side of a situation you never considered.

This happens often with me. And it is why I often read and reread posts without responding to them. If it is a person that I know will understand I am not trying to put them on the defensive, but want to learn their perspective, and how they came to their conclusion, I will ask. And in doing so, I learn. If I have observed this person ridiculing and defensive of their opinion, I have learned not to give up on the learning, but to seek those answers elsewhere to try to understand their viewpoint. And often their perspective is a good one. I have had to take this roundabout way to get an understanding of ones viewpoint more and more lately, and I am hoping the need to do so eases off a bit after the election.

There have been times I have brought an article to this board and have been questioned about why I brought it, what my intentions were. At first, I felt I was having to defend any article I brought. (and this is where the problem arises with 'articles', is it not?) But this was only a fleeting feeling. I soon became grateful when people asked me about them, and now realize if I am going to post an article a brief reason I am posting it would help others. I am grateful for those on this board that ask, but sometimes it is in watching the responses it provokes on this board where I really learn why it was necessary for them to ask, and why it may have been best not to post the article at all.

I think I remember this guy and your having to continually do this. I admired your stamina. You really tried with this guy. And you are right, you did eventually have to dismiss him. No other options were given you.

Yes, ignore him or totally confuse him with our sense of humors. I don't think he ever understood how people could laugh at themselves.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Either 1234 or leftism?
    STFU! Um, wait I meant "Shhhhh! She'll hear you!"
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast