Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legallity Of File Sharing

Poster
    Or get Peer Guardian (or a good software firewall) and a list of intenet cop IPs and BLOCK them!

It won't make you 100% safe, but couple that with the privacy protection in KL++ v2.1 (unlistable shared files) will make you an unlikely target to anyone BUT your ISP. Your ISP could log your internet traffic if you're being a major bandwidth leech, but that's unlikely if you're looking for rare files and you limit your upload bandwidths to less than max for your connection.

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    An IP Scrambler is something that I've yet to actually find. I does just what the name suggests. It scrambles you IP address so you theoretically cannot be traced. I don't know where to get one, or if they even exist. They may be a hacker's myth, or a well kept underground secret, but I can't find them.

And what is this peer guardian thing?

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Here are some of my thoughts on the subject of sharing or transferring ownership of any materials. Remember my thoughts, does not mean they have any weight or can be considered legitimate by any other.

First off, when you buy a car, can you loan your car to someone? Yes.

Can you sell your car to someone (for more or less than what you paid depending on collectors value and so on)? Yes.

The reason I listed the aforementioned items is as follows: The music industry is even cracking down on re-sale shops, they want more money when the used LP, CD, Tape, etc are re-sold. This is ludicrous. Does GM, FORD, DaimlerChrysler or any other automobile manfacturer even think they could ever ask for a percentage of the re-selling price when a used car is sold. NO. They know better, the idea is utterly proposterus and has led me to doing what I want when I want to regarding any p2p sharing program for any type of media.

The fact that the entertainment industry wants you to pay top dollar for what all intents and purposes is a very strictly controlled lease is beyond me. If you want to charge 10 or 20 dollars for a 5 cent piece of plastic because it has sounds or pictures on it is fine, but if I pay that it is mine to do with as I see fit. Charge me a quarter (25 cents) and maybe we could talk.

25 cents is 5 times the cost of production, which by any standard means you can run a heck of a business making 5 times your production costs. I know there are other costs, however that should be there responsibility to control, paying someone 100 million for making an album does not make want to spend 20 dollars for a CD. Pay them a more realistic sum and charge what needs to be charged in order to make a buck, not rip us off.

Does anyone know how a DVD movie can cost more than a VHS? Not me, the VHS tape alone costs more than the DVD disc and the DVD is much easier to make and distribute, so why the increased price? The entertainment industry is rotten to the core and they make it out like we are the bad guys. I buy music and stuff from street bands, low cost, high Quality stuff, that is where I choose to spend my money, paying for evian for the singers pet is not my responsibility.

Just had to get that off my chest.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    Couldn't agree more.

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    I wanted to add thios separate as someone already agreed and I would not want anone thinking they may have agreed to what I am about to add. Hopefully this made sense to you people (I always understand myself, others are a much less percentage ).

I wanted to add that I do understand that when you buy a car you cannot simply make duplicates of it and give them to your friends, I do understand that. However if you could, would that be illegal, probably not, at least at first.

Also, I think the extensions of copyrights, like those that Disney just received are ridiculous. The law was the law until a big shot company like Disney found out they were losing the rights to Mickey Mouse and others. The lobbied the right peopl and got an extension and i am not sure if the extension has an expiration date. I am not saying that an author or artist should be compensated for his or her's work. I am simply stating that if we never allow for the copyrights to expire then eventually no one will be able to write or sing a thing, it will have all been done before.

That is to say, if a 22nd century band wanted to cover a 20th century Beatles song, they would first have to have the copyright holder's permission and most likely pay them for the use. Had this been the case a whole lot of good music over the last 30 years or so would not have been made. I think the law used to be life, then it was life plus 50 years. Now Disney has it forever. And remember it does not have to be a duplicate, it can be similar or even just close and there may be copyright issues. I would hate to be a songwriter right now, writing music and lyrics has to be the toughest thing, there is not a whole lot of undone stuff.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    oh please! Copyright laws are different country to country, as for Kazaa surviving, maybe it will maybe it wont, in which case we will all be swapping files on the next program, think about how many laws your country has for theft, sex, driving, drugs, all the fun things. How many hundreds of years have they had them? Has it stopped everybody? don't think so. P2P will continue always as will file sharing, piracy etc? Companies will fight back of course and an uneasy status quo wil be maintained.

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    I coudln't agree more. The music industry has gotten way too big and way to greedy. Maybe if Eminem was making what he was worth he would have been throw out on the street long ago. But this concept is not limited to music and DVDs. Look at professional athletes. GOD would I love to get paid millions a year to run around and throw, kick, or carry a ball. And look at actors, wtf is up with 1 million an episode for friends. We live in a system where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Damned republicans. Stupid conservitives. Ignorant people who perpetuate the cycle via buying into mass media television and movies. Rally to the cause. Don't waste money on movies and media entertainment! Even if you think it's worth the price, it's not, even if you think 5 10 20 dollars is not alot of money, it's only becaues you've been conditioned to think that way.

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    Poster
    ive always just taken the stance that I refuse to pay for something that technically does not literally exist, being just numbers. Do the tree's charge you for the oxygen they let out? Do we charge the tree's for stealing our carbon dioxide?

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by DarkEternityNow@28 March 2003 - 18:27
    ive always just taken the stance that I refuse to pay for something that technically does not literally exist, being just numbers. Do the tree's charge you for the oxygen they let out? Do we charge the tree's for stealing our carbon dioxide?
    Oxygen does exist, just because you can't see it, doesn't mean that its not there.
    Proud member of MDS

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    Going on that theory. What's to say I didn't create some random peraimeters and make the MP3 in question from a VB program that outputs random 1010100100111101010110101 style code and just happen to come up with something that is techniqually copywrited.

And yes I am aware that comming up with anything that remotely resemembles any kind of music is virtually impossible using that method. But I'm trying to make a point

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast