Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Legallity Of File Sharing

imported_uncle_cracker
    don't worry

p2p will never die ... :beerchug:

2. File Sharing   -   #22
    Poster
    actually, the oxygen and carbon dioxide thing were just metaphores or something....

3. File Sharing   -   #23
    SideSwiped's Avatar LB 3880
    Have any of you actually READ copyright law? If you follow it to the letter, what we do technically is legal, but there is a grey area in it, and the RIAA is using it's clout and money to remove the grey area, and make it illegal. We are sharing, not selling, not copying, not claiming to create what we share. Copyright laws were created to protect the people and the artist. If the RIAA succeeds it will be illegal for us to even watch or listen to any media, according to the changes in the current laws they'd like to see. I mean after all, millions of ppl tune into the radio or the television and we did not pay to view the media so isn't that technically the same 'evil'? I however still support the idea of a worldwide boycot on all entertainment media if the RIAA continues on it's course.

My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash, and it's gone.

4. File Sharing   -   #24
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by SideSwiped@29 March 2003 - 03:23
    Have any of you actually READ copyright law?  If you follow it to the letter, what we do technically is legal, but there is a grey area in it, and the RIAA is using it's clout and money to remove the grey area, and make it illegal.  We are sharing, not selling, not copying, not claiming to create what we share.  Copyright laws were created to protect the people and the artist.  If the RIAA succeeds it will be illegal for us to even watch or listen to any media, according to the changes in the current laws they'd like to see.  I mean after all, millions of ppl tune  into the radio or the television and we did not pay to view the media so isn't that technically the same 'evil'?  I however still support the idea of a worldwide boycot on all entertainment media if the RIAA continues on it's course.
    Tis true.

P2P is on one side of the legal hurdle, the RIAA on the other.
    They could conceivably win, but the prospect of alienation of the consumer is much too great; think in terms of Major League Baseball-if they don't soon begin to manage salary levels they'll have to go pay-per-view, and THAT would kill the goose-same with P2P.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. File Sharing   -   #25
    p2p will never die. i have been sharing files of all sorts for the last 18 years. whether handing a disk , using the old copy-right file copy program or recording a data cassette, p2p has been around for years. i, of course, have never copied anything that is covered by copyright ;>

6. File Sharing   -   #26
    p2p will never die. i have been sharing files of all sorts for the last 18 years. whether handing a disk , using the old copy-right file copy program or recording a data cassette, p2p has been around for years. i, of course, have never copied anything that is covered by copyright ;> (i see i screwed up yet again&#33

7. File Sharing   -   #27
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Apparently Ksmurf's ass is so big he had to cover it twice...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. File Sharing   -   #28
    Originally posted by clocker@31 March 2003 - 04:05
    Apparently Ksmurf's ass is so big he had to cover it twice...
    no need to be petty now is there. there is already one major war going on. lol

9. File Sharing   -   #29
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    It occurs to me that in all these discussions the problem is always stated as Us (the poor downtrodden people) vs. Them ( the rich,greedy Media Giants). I think that we actually have an ally that no one ever mentions and that would be ...(drumroll)... the other Large Greedy Corporations who build the hardware that makes p2p possible. I remember when the first dual tape decks came out ( yes, I'm that old) and the music industry was up in arms because you could (GASP&#33 duplicate a tape! The World As We Know It could come to an end! But TEAC and BASF and all those guys knew they were sitting on a goldmine and fought off the legal challenges. I suspect that something similar might happen again, after all Gateway and Dell and yes, even Sony, are making shitloads of money selling us the tools we need to connect, trade and burn files. Imagine the corporate psychosis at Sony as one division races to come up with the latest, greatest multimedia computer-Burn CDs in under 2 Minutes!!! But not Sony copyrighted ones of course (nudge,nudge,wink,wink)! Meanwhile Sony Music is trying to figure out how to recoup their multimillion dollar investment in Britney Spears' unborn child's next album.
    I guess the point here is that I think that there will be lots of little skirmishes and lots of breastbeating by the recording industry, but they can only huff and puff so hard before the Big Bad Wolf (i.e. the Computer/Software industry) blows back. After all, who swings the biggest bat, Mariah Carey or Bill Gates?
    P.S. By the way ksmurf... for all I know you have a very tiny ass...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. File Sharing   -   #30
    sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    The previous comments are so true.....the only problem now is the ability to track online file sharing which is a lot easier than physically swopping discs and tapes etc. However, I really don't think the average joe really needs to worry too much...and if Kazaa goes belly up....well, I will see you all on another forum, on another p2p site.....its human nature to want to stick 2 fingers up to the big boys. In the world of Mr/Ms in the street the underdog is king!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast