Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Verichip..what do you think?

ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Kinda reminds me of an old movie...I think it was called Logan's Run.
    Personally, I find the idea of a microchip kinda creepy. I also think the potential for abuse is too great...
    I don't want to be "scanned". When one has access to any type of record, they have access to all kinds of records. Me?...I'd opt for a medical alert bracelet, but to each their own.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Mathea's Avatar The Blonde Alibi BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    Kinda reminds me of an old movie...I think it was called Logan's Run.
    Personally, I find the idea of a microchip kinda creepy. I also think the potential for abuse is too great...
    I don't want to be "scanned". When one has access to any type of record, they have access to all kinds of records. Me?...I'd opt for a medical alert bracelet, but to each their own.
    same here.... having a chip with the potential for everything... not for me. I saw this on the news last night and tbh i wasnt surprised... but even if it ever became a mandatory thing i would just stop going to the dr

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Comic_Peddler's Avatar Poster
    Kinda of silly, but I am suprised that the religious groups haven't been more vocal about this. Growing up in the heart of the Bible Belt our preachers always said about the end times, a person would not be able to purchase foodstuff and whatnots without an identifing mark, whether a brand of some sort, or a chip implanted under the skin (this was 20 years ago by the way). Along with this there is also the prediction of the one world government at the end times, the U.N. perchance?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    I cant see how these wouldnt be abused, within a few years...

Ah RF, you are such a dear.

I think this is the main point of concern. I can honestly say I rest better at night knowing Scroff and Ruthe and their website and other people like them will help ensure they are not abused by encouraging people to think. It is important to encourage people to think on their own. For too many years they have been led by others who manipulate with propoganda to control.

It is a real art, to have the ability to present a topic that encourages people to think, as Ruthe has done with this thread.

And she did this without involving my ovaries (or my nationality, which seems to be my biggest thorn). Thanks, Ruthe!!!

Damn, what a woman!
    Last edited by Everose; 10-23-2004 at 04:27 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Having a password is all well and good if it is your own doctor treating you, in which case surely he would already have your medical records. Without the password any other doctor would find the device of no use, so why have it ? If every doctor has his own password that allows access then securing the data would be as close to impossible as it gets.
    To clarify, the data on the chip would be linked to a national database. The database can be accessed by doctors. Every doctor would have his unique sign in name and unique and changing password.

As for data security, any doctor that uses the system has the accounts he has accessed logged. If an audit discovers that he is viewing patient's files that he is not taking care of, he will be fired. That is not the future, that is now.

But doctors accessing data has never been a real concern, it has been non-medical people getting your private information, that has been the issue.

On the face of it the idea does seem a good one, bracelets and cards can be lost. But it could be abused. Perhaps in the future babies will be automatically implanted.
    In todays medico-legal world, patients have far more control over themselves than ever before. Anything done to a patient requires both an authorization (which states that your doctor can talk about you with other doctors) and consents (agreemnet to a procedure).

There will be no slipping of chips into children without a full complement of paperwork.

Perhaps more than medical records would be added and tracking devices. With the thinking of " less freedom to fight terror" it's not such a far off idea.
    I have not read the original article. I was hoping that the chip would be exclusively a medical record and not a tracking device. I think this kind of concern could best we handled by making the chips both optional and removable.

So it comes down to personal thought. Even if it was strictly used for non invasive reasons the possibility is there and that goes against everything that "freedom" stands for.
    I agree that a tracking device would have a potential for abuse that I would not trust my government with. Medical records only.
    Last edited by hobbes; 10-23-2004 at 05:47 PM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Hobbes.

The thing about any data base is that they are not as secure as we are often led to believe, which was my point.
    to the other points we were discussing "possible" abuse of such tech in future. Although as i said it's unlikely it isn't beyond belief

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    Hobbes.

The thing about any data base is that they are not as secure as we are often led to believe, which was my point.
    to the other points we were discussing "possible" abuse of such tech in future. Although as i said it's unlikely it isn't beyond belief
    Yes, but the databases already exist and can be "hacked" by those parties interested. The hope would be to empower these data bases so that your medical records would be available in a crisis situation to the people who need it, regardless of where you are or your abilty to communicate.

I'm sure a motivated person could hack my credit card information, but I am certainly willing to take that chance based on the convenience it provides me.

Patient data is out there, but in order to access it, people would have to commit a criminal act. My father carries his medical record in his wallet, which is a lot less secure than an encrypted and password protected database.

It is a risk/ benefit ratio I am comfortable with. If you are not, certainly you should never be made to carry a chip.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    Ah RF, you are such a dear.

I think this is the main point of concern. I can honestly say I rest better at night knowing Scroff and Ruthe and their website and other people like them will help ensure they are not abused by encouraging people to think. It is important to encourage people to think on their own. For too many years they have been led by others who manipulate with propoganda to control.

It is a real art, to have the ability to present a topic that encourages people to think, as Ruthe has done with this thread.

And she did this without involving my ovaries (or my nationality, which seems to be my biggest thorn). Thanks, Ruthe!!!

Damn, what a woman!
    Thanks, Everose. (our ovaries are sacred)
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic_Peddler
    Kinda of silly, but I am suprised that the religious groups haven't been more vocal about this. Growing up in the heart of the Bible Belt our preachers always said about the end times, a person would not be able to purchase foodstuff and whatnots without an identifing mark, whether a brand of some sort, or a chip implanted under the skin (this was 20 years ago by the way). Along with this there is also the prediction of the one world government at the end times, the U.N. perchance?
    Amazing isn't it?

Another thing that is funny is that there will be evidence of many of these things unfolding but there will be those who will pass it off as something else.

Don't get me wrong. I'm no fanatic, but at the same time, I will not keep my head in my ass.
    Last edited by Busyman; 10-25-2004 at 03:46 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Sanctuary!
    Quote Originally Posted by everose
    can honestly say I rest better at night knowing Scroff and Ruthe and their website and other people like them will help ensure they are not abused by encouraging people to think
    Thank you, Everose...
    Ancient Bush family proverb; Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... drown him in the lake and he'll never be hungry again.

Any Which Way.... because there's more to it than Fox tells you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast