Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Verichip..what do you think?

ruthie's Avatar Poster
    The FDA approved an implantable microchip for medical purposes. When it's activated, the chip gives an ID number,which then discloses the person's medical history/conditions. This can be pretty useful, but I personally don't want one.
    Do you think this will be used for it's intended purpose, or do you think it could go beyond it's intended use?
    How do you protect something like this for use as only a medical device?
    Last edited by ruthie; 10-23-2004 at 04:43 AM.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Are you worried about the "implantable" aspect of this, or the potential loss of private information.

Meaning, would it make a difference if it were affixed to a medic alert badage vs. implanted.

Or are you just more concerned that people will develop remote scanners that can get access to your private medical records?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    As I think this through, I would imagine that the system could be protected by the Physician scanning your chip, entering his ID and his password, which changes at regular intervals.

This way, stealing your "barcode" does not lead to straight access to the medical record by an outside party.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    I'm not concerned about the implantable aspect of the chip. Private info is another thing. I think this can be very useful in many instances..someone comes in unconscious, delirious, perhaps a patient who can't remember all the meds they are on, etc. If someone needs critical care, it would be quite helpful for the Dr.'s to have information at their fingertips.
    i don't think people will develop remote scanners and get access to records.
    What concerns me is the potential this technology has, and will it in time be developed or used to provide access to much more then medical records/history.
    If they could keep it ethical, it can be a great tool. I still don't want one. LOL
    Last edited by ruthie; 10-23-2004 at 06:12 AM.

anywhichway

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    As I think this through, I would imagine that the system could be protected by the Physician scanning your chip, entering his ID and his password, which changes at regular intervals.

This way, stealing your "barcode" does not lead to straight access to the medical record by an outside party.
    That's a good idea.

anywhichway

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    The Passwords Are:

Mark Of The Beast

Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    I could not agree to having an implant unless these two conditions were met:

The first being that I had a condition wherein it would save my life if the Dr's knew about it in an emergency. The second being that I, and only I had control of the information put on the chip.

Along this same vein, I received an email which was meant to be a joke the other day. It was addressing America's concerns about being able to track illegal or legal aliens in this country, about why we are not able to do this, such as in preventing terrorist activity. The answer given is that we give each alien visiting a cow.

In response to Mad Cow's Disease, we now can tell you what country a cow came from, exactly where it has been while in our country, what it has eaten while here and even what other cows it was housed with.

So the potential for abuse in verichips is present. But the intelligence of the American people in seeing the possibility of abuses and monitoring their use is also present.

But as I said, I want control over information put into my body. I would not trust someone just because they are a Dr. to do this for me.
    Last edited by Everose; 10-23-2004 at 02:13 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Having a password is all well and good if it is your own doctor treating you, in which case surely he would already have your medical records. Without the password any other doctor would find the device of no use, so why have it ? If every doctor has his own password that allows access then securing the data would be as close to impossible as it gets.
    On the face of it the idea does seem a good one, bracelets and cards can be lost. But it could be abused. Perhaps in the future babies will be automatically implanted. Perhaps more than medical records would be added and tracking devices. With the thinking of " less freedom to fight terror" it's not such a far off idea.
    I can't for the life of me imagine why the need to track every move an ordinary citizen makes would come in useful, but i could see a need for tracking in kidnapping or missing person cases.
    So it comes down to personal thought. Even if it was strictly used for non invasive reasons the possibility is there and that goes against everything that "freedom" stands for.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I cant see how these wouldnt be abused, within a few years...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast