Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AeroCool HT-101 experience?

Poster
    I'm looking at upgrading my heatsink so that I can overclock my PC.
    Anyone have any experience with this one? http://www.aerocool.com.tw/aerocool-...oler/ht101.htm

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    I've just ordered one, (actually, the -jr model), received dispatch confirmation about 10 mins ago. All the reports I've seen suggest this is an exceptional cooler.

I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW, the -jr model has aluminium fins instead of copper, but to make up for it it has more fins. It works out a good bit cheaper but is reckoned to have almost identical cooling properties. Quite a bit lighter too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    The -jr model may even be better overall. Look at this article for the CoolerMaster Aero7 lite. It shows better performance than the 7+ (copper). http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=315

Aluminum vs copper: I think the copper is better for heat transfer from the CPU but not as good a material for heat dissipation.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster

Angry

Kewl... I would really like to know how it works for you.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Ok, first the cooler itself, the build quality is superb. The base of the cooler is polished, and chromed I think (remember this is the -JR model). Even the aluminium fins appear to have been polished, which should hopefully prevent dust build-up. Comes with aerocool's own thermal compound, 25% silver (twice the content of AS5), only 1 gram, but if used carefully that should be enough for about 10 removals of the heatsink.

A quick word about the heatsink type fins at the base, I know they've been mentioned by VB or clocker in the past. There are 4 thick fins, I doubt whether they will do much in the way of heat dissipation (since there is no fan blowing on them), it seems more related to the fastening method than anything else. It has to be removed and replaced in order to change the fastening method for P4 or Athlon64 processors.

I'm still running it in, so the setup isn't final until I've checked things out, but here are the initial results, all readings via speedfan for consistency. I'm only going to quote 100% cpu. Who cares what idle temps are like, if it isn't ok at 100% cpu then it isn't ok.

Conditions before, water cooled with chilled water (approx 12C) Vcore 1.76V, speed 2.28GHz.
    Cpu temp 32C, Motherboard temp 28C, fairly noisy when the water chiller kicks in.

Conditions now, Aerocool HT101-JR with 1 fan, Vcore 1.71V, speed 1.83MHz
    Cpu temp 41C, Motherboard temp 26C, almost silent.

Hopefully the cpu temp will come down a little when the thermal compound has had chance to bed in. That's all for now, next thing is to raise Vcore back to 1.76V.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    Hmmm, very interesting.

I recently installed the latest version of Speedfan. The old version did not control the cpu fan speed, but that didn't matter since I was using water cooling. The new version DOES control cpu fan speed (but unfortunately not system fan speed for some reason ).

The temps I reported earlier were with the fan running at about 85% of maximum (about 2300rpm instead of 2750 rpm). The fan is now running at full speed, Vcore is up at 1.76V, and the temps after 15 mins running are exactly as before.

Next - 200MHz base frequency (2.2GHz cpu speed).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    That's pushed it up a little, but still acceptable.

Temps after about 15 mins at 2.2GHz, cpu 43C, mobo 26C.

Next - back to the original settings (base 207MHz, 2.28GHz cpu speed).

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    I was about to report that things seemed ok at 2.28GHz when I suddenly got a BSOD.

The temp had crept up to 44C (cpu) but still at 26C for the motherboard.

I think I'll leave it at 2.2GHz for a while, at least until the thermal compound has settled in.

I may try a second fan on the heatsink tomorrow. But that's enough for tonight, all this excitement has made me thirsty. :beerchug:

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    How are the load temps @ 2.2 now?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    All the above temps (including the original water cooled temps) were with the side panel removed. I've now added a second fan to the HT101. Unfortunately it isn't from Aerocool and it is quite a bit noisier.

New temps, with side panel fitted, cpu 45C, motherboard 29C.

Going by mobo reading I'd say the temp inside the case has risen by 4C by replacing the side panel, so I'd say the extra fan has probably cut the temps by about 3C. Not a lot, but it could be significant.

Speedfan can now change my system clock dynamically. Over the next week I'm going to try raising that 1MHz at a time (11MHz after multiplier) to see what happens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast