Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox Soft-Mod Tutorial

**DISCLAIMER**
    Even though this Hack is pretty much fool-proof, You do so at your own risk!

Please read the FAQ at the end of this Tutorial.

Also read 'Xbox Backup Burning Guide' at end of Mod Tutorial

Equipment Needed:
    1. XBOX version 1.0/1.1 (with the 4920 Dashboard)
    2. Original copy of '007 - Agent Under Fire'

3. Action Replay for XBOX

4. Official 'Microsoft' Memory Card

5. Mordens Audio Hack 007 V.3

You only need items 6 and 7 below if you intend on
    FTP'ing into your XBOX!!

6. Ethernet PCI Card 10/100Mbps

7. Ethernet Crossover Cable (CAT 5 / RJ45)

Now to the juicy part....Hacking that XBOX!!!!

STEP 1. Install the Action Replay card reader and Software to your PC (you need a USB port in the back&#33

STEP 2. Insert your MS Memory Card into the Card Reader..Windows will detect this as a new device, Just follow
    the information it gives you (You may need to insert your Action Replay CD-ROM again).

STEP 3. Unrar 'Mordens Audio Hack' and take out 'BondSave.zip'...Open the Action Replay program and then
    Drag & Drop the 007 Gamesave onto the Memory Card window..Hey presto! The gamesave is on your Memory card.

STEP 4. Insert your Memory Card into your Controller and boot up your Xbox. Then go to Memory and Copy the 007
    Gamesave from you MC to the XBOX Hardrive. Take out your Memory Card.

STEP 5. Insert you copy of 'Agent Under Fire'. Select Start Mission, Then Exit that mission. Go to Load Mission and Load the 007 Gamesave from your Harddrive.
    And if all is well you will see the 'Phoenix Bios Loader' image then the new 'MXM' Dashboard will Boot up!!!

STEP 6. When MXM has loaded Press B to goto the Audio Exploit section (without this you cannot run backups etc...)
    Press A to Install it and then A again to Confirm. When that is done it should return to MXM.

**PLEASE NOTE** You only need to follow these next steps
    if you want to install Games straight to your XBOX harddrive.
    You can stop here if all you want to do is play CDRW/DVDRW backups.

STEP 7. To FTP into your XBOX you will need to connect your Crossover Cable (CAT5) from your Ethernet Card in your PC to the Ethernet Port in the back of the XBOX.
    To FTP files to and from PC to XBOX you will need some FTP software. I recommend CUTE FTP.
    Once installed goto the Site Manager and enter the following details

FTP Host Address - 192.168.0.3
    User Name - xbox
    Password - xbox
    FTP Port - 21

STEP 8. Connect through CUTE FTP to your XBOX and you should now see in the Right-Hand window the inside of your XBOX...You should see these Drives:

C,D,E,F,G (and maybe X and Y)

STEP 9. If you want to Install Games, Applications and Emulators to your XBOX you will need to put them onto the E drive.
    You can install to the F drive if your Xbox will allow you to format it.

Good Luck and Happy Soft-Modding!!

XBOX Backup Burning Guide -

Note: I am assuming you have a Version 1.0 - 1.1 XBOX and using CD/RW

1.Download a Program called Extract-XISO
    2.Add your Downloaded game to Extract_XISO, Yes you may say that the game you just downloaded was an ISO..But its better to change it to the proper XBOX format (XISO).
    3.Grab a copy of NERO 6 (Burning Software)
    4.Go into 'Burn Image' in NERO and Locate your XISO (ie. Halo.xiso)
    5.Now make sure the Settings are as follows -
    a - Tick the 'Finalize CD (No further writing possible)' box.
    b - In 'Write Method', Choose 'Disc At Once'.
    c - And always try and choose the lowest 'Write Speed'...1x or 2x, Even though I have Burnt at 4x and 8x with No problems!!
    6.Now Hit the 'Burn' button and away you go!

**A Few small points regarding CDRW Media to use, I have the Samsung Drive fitted (this drive is really not fussy what it plays)...But I can guarantee that these types of Media work 100% with this specific Drive -

Packard Bell CDRW 700MB 4x 10x Compatible
    Memorex CDRW 700MB 1x 4x Compatible.

**Be Warned..the Thomson and Phillips DVD Drives installed in other XBOX can be very particular about what Backup Media they will play!!

FAQ -

Q. Do i need the 4920 Dash, or will any Dashboard do?
    A. Yes you need 4920, the Exploit only works with this version. Visit Xbox-Scene Forum for help on upgrading or downgrading your Dashboard.

Q. How do i find out what Version of Xbox I have?
    A. Take a look here http://www.xbox-scene.com/versions_0.php

Q. How do I find out what Version of Dashboard I have?
    A. Power up your Xbox, Goto Settings, System Info, then wait for the Microsoft information to scroll down. At the bottom you will see something like this:
    K:1.00.4817.01
    D.1.00.XXXX.01
    XXXX is your Dashboard version.

Q. I have an Older Dashboard version, which Live enabled Games will Update my Dashboard to 4920?
    A. Splinter Cell, MechAssault, Unreal Championship, Ghost Recon, Moto GP, MX Superfly, Capcom Vs SNK 2, Whacked!, NFL 2003, NBA 2003, NHL 2003, Star Wars KOTOR...and more!

Q. Do all available Xbox Live Games update my Dash to 4920?
    A. NO! Live enabled games after Aug/Sept 2003 will Update your Dash Higher than 4920...Avoid games such as..XIII, Counter-Strike, Project Gotham Racing 2, Rainbow 6-Raven Shield...and more!

Q. Can I use a Backup of 'Agent Under Fire' to run the Exploit?
    A. No! Only an Original copy will work. There has also been rumours of the Platinum versions not working as Microsoft may have fixed the error within the game.

Q. Can I use an Action Replay memory card?
    A. No! This make of Memory Card seem to corrupt the Gamesave. Use the Offical Microsoft one.

Q. Where can I get 'Mordens Audio Hack' from, I cant find it anywhere?
    A. Have a search round on 'Google' and check out some of the Xbox Utility sites, or search Xbins on IRC.
    You will find it!!

Q. What exactly comes packaged inside this 'Audio Hack'?
    A. The Hack comes in 2 parts
    1.The 007 Gamesave which crashes the console and lets you access the MXM Dashboard.
    2.The Audio Exploit which enables you to run unsigned code.

Q. What exactly can I run on my Soft-Modded Xbox?
    A. Pretty much anything (backups, movies, emulators, media players, homebrew games).

Q. Can I still Rip CD's after installing the Exploit?
    A. Yes you can.

Q. Where do i store all the games and apps on my Xbox?
    A. You install them to the E drive.

Q. I have heard you can Format the F drive and gain an extra 2 gigs, is that true?
    A. Yes and No, It all depends on what Version Xbox you have. If your Xbox allows it, you can easily Format your F drive from within CuteFTP.

Q. Do the Xbox Live 2.0 enabled games automatically update my Dashboard?
    A. No! Your Dashboard will only be Updated if you Hit the Live Tab or connect to Xbox Live.

Q. What are the advantages of Backing up my Xbox C drive, once I can FTP in?
    A. The main advantage is that you have an Untouched copy of the 4920 Dashboard stored on your PC, which comes in handy if you accidentely Update your Dashboard with say a Live 2.0 enabled game.

Q. If I did Update my Dashboard to a version higher than 4920 which files would I need to take from my PC back onto my Xbox? And how do I do it?
    A. You would need to FTP back in to your Xbox and Delete the xboxdashdata folder and the xboxdash.xbe file from your Xbox HD. Then you would need to Upload the xboxdashdata folder and xboxdash.xbe from your PC back onto your Xbox. Then your Dashboard is back to the 4920 version, Simple as that!

Q. What is the MXM Dashboard actually all about, is it similar to the Evo-X Dash I have heard about?
    A. It is similar to Evo-X but contains many more features, Read more about it here What is MXM?

Q. Once i have installed the MXM Dashboard, can I set it as the Default dash?
    A. Yes you can, replacing the MS Dash. Take a look here on how to do it MXM Default Dash guide

Big shout out to Members of the Xbox-Scene Forums for sterling advice on loads of modding questions....and to Morden for a fantastic Audio Hack!
    I got Booted from Xbox Scene Forum...Proud??...You Betcha!!

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #2
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Excellent guide slimboyfatz. Too bad my Xbox isn't 1.0/1.1, damn...

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #3
    Well Good Luck and Happy Soft-Modding!!! 
    That smiley really cracks me up

Nice guide btw I just need an xbox now

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #4
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    shit, somebody pls for the love of god PIN this, it's a really damn good guide. guess what? just finished soft-modding my xbox , and i've successfully put halo onto the xbox hdd (so i can play straight off the hard drive), i'll get rid of it (halo) and replace it with something more better, i just put halo on to see if it works as it was the closest game my hand could reach , really damn good tutorial, now i don't need a stupid mod chip. thank you so freaking much slimboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #5
    Originally posted by KrackHead2k@24 January 2004 - 05:37
    Excellent guide slimboyfatz. Too bad my Xbox isn't 1.0/1.1, damn...
    Hey, Hey now I never said that u couldnt use a higher version XBOX (i.e 1.3/1.4)...I just said that I had a 1.1 XBOX (at least i think i did?!?&#33.........What is really of most importance is the 4920 Dashboard as described in the tut...

Im guessing you have maybe a 1.4/1.5 XBOX so your Dash version would be a little higher??? In that case you would have to downgrade your dash...but as I stated in the tut, I would get so more advice about doing this...Visit Xbox-scene and click on the Forum link (there is some really golden advice there..trust me..just search for it)..

Your cause is not lost....Im 99% sure you can still run this Exploit if ya can just get that 4920 Dash version....Good Luck!!!

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #6
    Originally posted by cpt_azad@24 January 2004 - 10:54
    shit, somebody pls for the love of god PIN this, it's a really damn good guide.  guess what? just finished soft-modding my xbox            , and i've successfully put halo onto the xbox hdd (so i can play straight off the hard drive), i'll get rid of it (halo) and replace it with something more better, i just put halo on to see if it works as it was the closest game my hand could reach  , really damn good tutorial, now i don't need a stupid mod chip.  thank you so freaking much slimboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!           
    Did u have everything at hand like I described in the Tutorial??? Lucky bugger!!!
    I had to go out and pretty much buy everything (except the Xbox).....It was worth it though....and all in all if u do own an Xbox, everything else you buy amounts to around the same price as a Mod-Chip....

And thanx for the appreciation!!!

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #7
    CadeLaguana's Avatar Poster
    Man this sounds good. I'm going to talk to my brother about this and see what we can do. I'll have him pick up that action replay, and his step son has agent under fire(thank god). I have the rest of the hardware I need. All I need now is that action replay. Man if this works Slimboyfatz, I'll have your kids.

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #8
    Originally posted by CadeLaguana@24 January 2004 - 18:21
    Man this sounds good.  I'm going to talk to my brother about this and see what we can do.  I'll have him pick up that action replay, and his step son has agent under fire(thank god).  I have the rest of the hardware I need.  All I need now is that action replay.  Man if this works Slimboyfatz, I'll have your kids.
    Yeah u just need the ActionReplay for the Card Reader and the CD (Software)...I think it comes bundled with an AR Memory Card...But as I said in the tut..they are Grade A Shit!!!

Note-If the Microsoft Memory Card is a little pricey for people...I have heard of people having great results with the 'Madkatz' Memory Cards...And they're a lot cheaper too...Have Fun!!!

About the Kids thing CadeLaguana...I'll give it a miss m8..I have 3 of my own already....Just think if you had Triplets...Id have to hold down at least 2 jobs then...LOL

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #9
    Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    My Xbox dash version is 5969 (or was it 5659).

So, from what I've learned at the Xbox Scene Forums, in order to downgrade to 4920, I have to find the 4920 files (xboxdas.xbe, xodash, and xboxdashdata) and replace my current Xbox dash files with those. Correct?

But how would I connect to my Xbox to replace the files? I have an unmodded Xbox, strait out of the box, I can't FTP the files to it can I?

The members over there said to use Agent Under Fire to FTP the 4920 files into my Xbox. But I thought I needed the 4920 files to FTP in the first place...

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #10
    i got vers 1.1 and i wanna ftp it, do i need action relay or can i just do it wit the ftp and nothin else?

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast