Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arafat

ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Well, what do you think will happen in the Middle East if Arafat dies?
    Sharon is finally making a move to pull out of sttlements, he is constantly bombarded with death threats. This is long overdue, and I wondering just how much occupied territory Sharon intends with the "return". Hopefully, all of it.
    Meanwhile, if Arafat dies, that leaves what? Hezbollah?
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    Well, what do you think will happen in the Middle East if Arafat dies?
    Sharon is finally making a move to pull out of sttlements, he is constantly bombarded with death threats. This is long overdue, and I wondering just how much occupied territory Sharon intends with the "return". Hopefully, all of it.
    Meanwhile, if Arafat dies, that leaves what? Hezbollah?
    Good question, I don't think I am qualified to answer, though I do have an opinion.

I will maintain the pose that a fool is counted among the wise when he is silent.
    Last edited by hobbes; 10-28-2004 at 12:24 AM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    if arafat dies, a civil uprising or more terrorist attacks might happen, just an opinion. and no, as long as there is an Israel, not all of the land will be returned.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    That's pretty much how I see it.

anywhichway

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    to clarify...I feel that the occupied territory should be returned.

anywhichway

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Good question, I don't think I am qualified to answer, though I do have an opinion.

I will maintain the pose that a fool is counted among the wise when he is silent.

I can only say, Mr. Hobbes, that if I had your wisdom and your analytical ability, I would be a fool not to post.

Your posts, and your opinions, also, have encouraged me to think on my own, and I appreciate that about you.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    to clarify...I feel that the occupied territory should be returned.
    that would mean all of israel, since 1947 israel has ignored dozens of resolutions passed by the UN and no one gives a damn, and when Iraq kicks out UN inspector's, Bush goes crazy and launches an attack on a sovereign nation which never had any WMD's to begin with.

history:

Nov. 29, 1947
    The United Nations proposes to partition Palestine into Jewish and Arab states with Jerusalem under international control. The U.S. and Russia approve of the plan, but Britain abstains. The Zionist movement - pushing for an independent state - reluctantly accepts the proposal that is denounced by Arab states. Arabs feel that the U.N. has no right to make such a deal.

the UN has no right what-so-ever to take a country and give away it's land. i wonder what people will say if tomorrow the UN says let's take Israel, rename it back to Palestine, and give all the land back to it's rightful owners (and that includes jews, because they lived in palestine befoire 1947, don't forget that)., hypothetically of course. Think of all the people that would say "WTF, that's racism or that's not right, blah blah blah). total bull is what i call it, alas, i doubt that will ever happen. IMHO, this was THE biggest mistake the UN ever made (1947), not just because it's wrong, but because they failed to see the consequences and repercussions involved.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Sanctuary!
    You have to go a little further back, cpt... Palestine was part of the Ottoman Empire until WW I, after which it came under the control of the Brits. The Balfour Declaration of 1917 was one of the first "official" mentions of a Jewish Homeland in Palestine...

It was only after struggling to implement the declaration that it was turned over to the UN.

I can't talk about after Arafat dies... I only hope he finds a successor that is acceptable to the Palistinians first.

I'm also impressed by Sharon, and very surprised... I think he'll be assasinated...
    Ancient Bush family proverb; Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... drown him in the lake and he'll never be hungry again.

Any Which Way.... because there's more to it than Fox tells you.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    what were they fighting over again?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I think that Arafat's dying will also be the end of the old PLO, which is now the Palestinian Authority.

This organisation has been losing influence ever sinse the Camp David agreement was unillaterally ripped up by Sharron, and the more Relgious Orientated organisations have been gaining the influence.

I have always maintained that you can negotiate with a Nationalist Organisation such as the PLO... You cant negotiate with a Fundamental Religious organisation.

In essence, his death will double (at least) the violence in the area, in my opinion.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast