Thread: AMD thunderbird issue/gateway mobo

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    ok, here it is. I got a free AMD athlon thunderbird 1ghz gateway pc (select 1000). Well, it was running fine, when i decided to replace the thermal paste on the CPU (which is what i do to any pc i get). well, after the new paste was added, the video no longer seems to work. I think the POS is now dead (not like i care, it was free), but it seems a shame that it seemed to be properly working before. When i power it on, i hear the HDD boot up, and it seems to boot although i cant see it. i have tried different monitors, keyboards, mouse, etc, all to the same end. I just wonder why, all the sudden....it dies like that? I am pissed only because i dont know what happened. Also, i grounded myself to the PSU before installing the new paste with a wrist strap. I will try to find more info on this board if i can. Anyone have a similar experience?
    *edit* also tried another vid card, so that aint it.
    I will hook up sound to see if it is actually booting, or not
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 10-27-2004 at 02:34 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Possibilties: failure to remove thermal pad, improper reseating of heatsink, too much or little thermal paste, wires giggled that hadn't been disturbed in years & finally (sure theres more) my favorite magically charmed dust bunny removed.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thermal pad: shouldnt apply here as this is an older pc
    Improper re-seat: Seems to be seated OK
    Thermal paste: the pc wouldnt react to either not enough or too much on boot immediately after application.
    giggled wires: possible, ill check it
    magical dust bunnies: THIS SOLUTION IS PROBABLY THE MOST LIKELY (its my luck, lol)

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Disconnect all that isn't needed for bootup.

So that leaves PSU, Motherboard, CPU, RAM and Videocard.

Be sure to connect the small internal speaker to listen to any error codes.

Clear the CMOS.

Then try booting.

Edit: Just an afterthought. Check that the CPU fan is connected and running. Some boards detect to see if the fan is spinning and refuse to boot if it doesn't detect the fan spinning.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 10-27-2004 at 03:12 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Edit: Just an afterthought. Check that the CPU fan is connected and running. Some boards detect to see if the fan is spinning and refuse to boot if it doesn't detect the fan spinning.
    Also check it's plugged into the right socket - Abit's KT7A famously required the CPU fan plugged into header #2 or it wouldn't boot, and they forgot to put that in the manual.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i will try these after work today.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    upon close inspection of the board, right above the CPU slot, there were a few burnt/(missing?!) resistors. the PC hadn't been run for a little over a year (it was given to me by someone...FREE). i guess it wasnt used to running, and those little things burned out. I really have no explanation as to why it burnt, but oh well, i got one off ebay for 26 bucks. The resistors i am talking about are super small, like the size of this pound sign #. 2 look like they blew off the board, and 1 looks like half of it melted away.