Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coupon for free ticket to the (new) St. Louis Steamers indoor soccer season opener vs

Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    NO!

Jonno

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Yogi's Avatar Super Undulator
    Nothing to worry about, jonno..............

Complicated alcohol abstinence (delirium tremens)
    Provided by A.D.A.M., Inc.
    Overview | Treatment

Definition Alcohol withdrawal is a disorder involving sudden and severe mental changes (psychosis) or neurologic changes (including seizures) caused by stopping the use of alcohol. Hemodynamic changes such as rapid pulse rate, elevated blood pressure, and temperature elevation may also be present.

Alternative Names DT's; Alcohol withdrawal

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Complicated alcohol abstinence (delirium tremens) occurs in approximately 1 out of 10,000 people. Risks include an alcoholic binge period where alcohol use is heavy and intake of food is inadequate.

It may also be triggered by head injury, infection, or illness in people with a history of heavy use of alcohol. It is most common in people who have a history of experiencing alcohol withdrawal state when alcohol is stopped, especially in those who have an alcohol intake equivalent to 7 to 8 pints of beer (or 1 pint of "hard" alcohol) per day for several months, and in those with a history of habitual alcohol use or alcoholism that has existed for more than 10 years.

Symptoms occur because of the toxic effects of alcohol on the brain and nervous system. They may be severe and progress rapidly.

Prevention Avoid or minimize the use of alcohol. Treat known alcoholism appropriately. Obtain prompt medical treatment for symptoms of alcohol withdrawal state. Also, look into alcohol detoxification or "detox" centers in your area, as well as alcohol rehabilitation centers or "rehab" facilities.

Symptoms
    Additional symptoms that may be occur:

Note: Symptoms most commonly occur within 72 hours after the last drink, but may occur up to 7 to 10 days after the last drink. Symptoms may progress rapidly.

Signs and tests

Complicated alcohol abstinence is a medical emergency. The health care provider should be consulted promptly.

An examination of the neuromuscular system may show an increased startle reflex, rapid rhythmic muscle tremor, or other changes indicating alcohol withdrawal. Evidence of increased autonomic function -- such as profuse sweating -- may be present.

There may be symptoms of dehydration or malnutrition, and signs indicating electrolyte disturbances. An eye inspection may show abnormalities of eye muscle movement -- such as lid lag. The heart rate may be rapid, and there may be an irregular heart beat. The blood pressure may be normal, elevated, or low.

A serum toxicology screen is usually positive for alcohol. Serum chemistry (chem-20) may show electrolyte disturbances, especially decreased levels of potassium and magnesium. An ECG (electrocardiogram) may show arrhythmias. An EEG (electroencephalogram) may be performed to rule out other causes of seizures.

y.y.y.y.y.yoooogiiiiiiii
    Last edited by Yogi; 10-27-2004 at 09:42 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    You have just spoiled it Yogi. jonno thought that delirium tremens was a Japanese earthquake .
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Nice Yogi, but you forgot to mention the main symptom.

Confusing soccer with golf.

Also using the term "soccer" to describe "football" is another symptom.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Nice Yogi, but you forgot to mention the main symptom.

Confusing soccer with golf.

Also using the term "soccer" to describe "football" is another symptom.
    Seeing my history with described subject it should be considered a miracle i

only forgot one .........say again????...........................

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogi
    Seeing my history with described subject it should be considered a miracle i

only forgot one .........say again????...........................
    Why are you talking to me, I haven't posted in this thread, have I?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    Why are you talking to me, I haven't posted in this thread, have I?
    Who are you talking too????

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12