Thread: explain athlon processors to me

Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    I dont know how athlons are numbered, like pentiums are socket 423, socket 478, etc. How do i know what type of mobo to buy for a processor i have? the processor is a 1ghz thunderbird. thats all i know (I'm an intel guy) thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    All athlon and duron 32bit processors are socket A.
    simple enough.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    RGX's Avatar Unstoppable
    Certain types of A64 are socket 754, whereas others are 939, including the new FX series.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    What happened to the mobo? You had another thread about it the other day and you didn't tell us what happened after the diagnosics.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Yeah, tell us, because I've just got one too (MSI K7TM mobo with 1GHz Athlon, not quite free, but with 21" monitor) and it has stopped working almost straight away too.

Not had chance to do diagnostics yet, but I can see some seriously dodgy looking caps around the processor.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    upon close inspection of the board, right above the CPU slot, there were a few burnt/(missing?!) resistors. the PC hadn't been run for a little over a year (it was given to me by someone...FREE). i guess it wasnt used to running, and those little things burned out. I really have no explanation as to why it burnt, but oh well, i got one off ebay for 26 bucks. The resistors i am talking about are super small, like the size of this pound sign #. 2 look like they blew off the board, and 1 looks like half of it melted away.
    Last edited by Mïcrösöül°V³; 10-29-2004 at 06:18 PM.