Thread: Xp Sounds

I have the sound scheme windows xp pro uses when it logs on and logs off, as well as other sound schemes. Like when you empty the recycle bin for example. The only way I have found to get them back is by reinstalling the software.Any suggestions out there. Some folks have said to go to the sounds section in the control panel and select them again, but to no avail.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    instal Xp again

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    There has got to be a better way then reinstalling the whole software.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Are you getting any sounds at all from your PC? Can you play MP3s or is it just those Windows sounds? Maybe your speakers or soundcard has problems if you have on sound at all.

Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds Tab>Sound Scheme> Click on the small down arrow and select 'Windows Default' then click [ok] at the bottom of that dialog box.

Did that solve anything?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Yes I am getting sounds. It seems that the only missing is the sound for logging off and logging on plus the sound schemes like when you clean the recycle bin, etc.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    So did you try this?
    Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds Tab>Sound Scheme> Click on the small down arrow and select 'Windows Default' then click [ok] at the bottom of that dialog box.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I tried it but to no avail.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Then in the same dialog box you can select each sound individually. You can customize the sounds for each 'Program Event'. Look for 'Exit Windows' , 'Start Windows' , 'Empty Recycle Bin' Etc.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I have tried that it still wont work. I created a shortcut on the desktop and then deleted it , then emptied the recycle bin. no sound. It was working fine before. I have had this happen several times. I have had to reinstall windows, in order for them to work. Could installing norton system works or norton internet security have anything to do with it. I have realtek audio chip on board with 5.1 sound. Would going with a sound card keep this from happening. Here all I am doing is grasping at straws.