Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Study: 100,000 Excess Civilian Iraqi Deaths Since War

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    The Iraqi Body Count site which is generally considered one of the more accurate on this matter has a figure around 15,000 for deaths due directly to the War.

However, violent deaths is another matter - Iraq has became more or less lawless. Bodies float down the rivers with barely a second glance. Violent crime is rife. On top of this, every hospital was stripped bare and there was no power for months. Injuries and illness that should pose little concern have caused death. Consequently, a figure of 100,000 additional deaths may be realistic. It is unlikely we will ever really know. Of course, if large numbers have died then it might explain why the insugency is growing rather than shrinking.

In short, Iraq was not a good place to be under Saddam and it is still a horrible place to be. I think it is unlikely to become a hot tourist destination anytime soon.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    SirFrench's Avatar Headcase
    Being Ex-British forces myself, I know how figures can get Smudged by the governments concerned, so i don't believe that any reported figures will ever be right.

Considering that even though the war is supposedly over, there are still civilians being killed daily in incidents caused by the occupation of Iraq.

Also: Eight more US marines killed in Fallujah and Ramadi, and 1 member of the Black Watch killed whilst re-locating. That now makes 1120 US troops KIA in Iraq, alongside 69 British soldiers (Source: http://icasualties.org/oif/ ), so if you put that in context, thats 84.10 civilians killed for each soldier that has lost their life due to this conflict.

I think that's quite believable.

My heart goes out to the families involved. Both military and civilian.
    Last edited by SirFrench; 10-31-2004 at 12:59 AM. Reason: You'll find i do this a lot... I can't spell late at night!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12