Thread: network management software

hi, i wanna set up a LAN consists of a server and a few comps for my hostel. these comps are not mine, but are of those in the hostels

i'm in charge of looking for the right software to manage this network. am i right to assume that the software used in cybercafe fits into this scenario?
    could u guys recommend me any then? pls ask if u need more info

thx,
    gildan2020
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Well if you have a small lan you can try implementing SNMP (simple network management protocol). You can do a bit of research on it before getting into it. If it appears to bog down the network then try another method like CMIP, it doesn't use MIB collection but MIB reporting, so there's no polling of devices, it just waits for them to report their status on it's own.

Hope that helped.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by shn
    Well if you have a small lan you can try implementing SNMP (simple network management protocol). You can do a bit of research on it before getting into it. If it appears to bog down the network then try another method like CMIP, it doesn't use MIB collection but MIB reporting, so there's no polling of devices, it just waits for them to report their status on it's own.

Hope that helped.
    hi, sorry for replying this late
    anyway, this server will be providing Internet connection to the rest of the hostel. that means it is used for billing purposes as well as to manage the Internet access to the hostel.

will SNMP or CMIP be able to do that? how bout cybercafe management software? will this be an easier option?

thx,
    gildan2020

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Hi there nice to see you gildan2020.

Just make them pay for something like Microsoft Windows Small Business Server. It's real easy to setup and you can use most of the services already provided with it to get you going. All you need to do is go over the license issues with them since Microsoft is really picky when it comes to cals and businesses.

Hope that helps.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #5
    i see...i think i'll talk with the committee first coz cost is also an issue here.
    hopefully, this is cheaper than a cybercafe software.

gildan2020