Thread: PAR2 question...

I've got a rar set comprising 8 rars. All but the 8th rar in the set are corrupted, and the amount of Par2s I've got isn't sufficient to repair the rar set. I don't want to req more parts (largely because I'm not too bothered about the contents of the rar set), but I'd still like to be able to recover some of it. I was thinking that it might be possible to modify the contents of the Par2 files to 'trick' them into thinking there were only 5 rars in the set (as this would then mean I would have enough Par2s to fix the set). I've opened a couple of the Par2 files with notepad and searched for the filenames in the rar set, then I deleted what I assume is related to these files, but it still thinks they're supposed to be checked. Has anyone ever deleted files from a Par2 set, and if so, did they do it manually (by changing the contents of the Par2 files using a text editor), or was it with another program?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    the par2 will only repair the bad ones - no matter how many pars there are in the set.

and i dont see much benefit of having some complete and some not, cos surely you need them all in order to extract?
    <insert signature here>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Sorry, I think you've misunderstood me, perhaps I never made my intentions clear...

The Par2 file contains within it a list of all the files it has to repair (or verify). I want to be able to modify the list from within the Par2 file so that it only includes the first 5 rars.

If it does only include the first 5 rars then I'll have enough Par2 blocks to repair those 5 rars. This will mean I'll be able to extract 5 full rars plus a proportion of the damaged sixth rar (since extraction will continue until corruption is discovered). This means that I would have a lot more of the extracted file than I do at the moment.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by vivitron 15
    the par2 will only repair the bad ones - no matter how many pars there are in the set.

and i dont see much benefit of having some complete and some not, cos surely you need them all in order to extract?
    If the rars contain multiple files and you only have a couple of complete files then you can still extract some of it.

I dont think you can trick the par2 files.