Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to BT and I sorta understand it but...

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    NASA ?? I *think* that you should be able to get 150 kb/s on an ADSL line, depends on which part of the cachement area you are (with your ISP). With Cable, it's really easy to get 200+. But it also largely depends on who the seeders are and what their connections are for uploading (who they are as in are they bastards that decide that uploading at 13kb/s on their almighty T1 line ). Other than that, you should do fine.
    The most he can get on a 256 line is 32 KB/s
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Well if your on SN there are alot of leeches who cap their bandwidth since there is no apparent reason for them to share what they take other that if they feel like it whereas sites like TB ban you if dont keep a 1:1 ratio, so in general speeds on SN tend to sux much of the time but not always although TB always has great speeds since you have to share and cant cap if you intend to stay a member there anyway...

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    thanks Ike for that list of sites and the sticky about FAQ but I had already had a look on there.

What brings you to think that on a 256k modem you can only download at 32kb/s max? It seems that there is all this stuff that if you change ports on firewalls or something and get such and such a version of BitTorrent it will D/L a lot faster but I don't really get it.

I just went to the BitTorrent website and downloaded the regular bitorrent version 3.4.2 and have a Norton internet security Firewall and Sygate firewall I run a 256k speedtouch modem no router or nething. Is there a way to speed my downloads up? or is it just shitty leeches and seeds. I just thought there might be some sort of formula to quick downloads.

I thought this type of thing has probably been asked hundreds of times before but I couldn't find any topic, so if there is one out there with an answer could you please direct me to it, it would be much appreciated.

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    If your only using SN now then you need to check out other sites like TB and so on...

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by _mattyboy_
    What brings you to think that on a 256k modem you can only download at 32kb/s max?
    Simple math

256/8 = ....

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    WHY 8? And I have no idea what SN and TB are...

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    Afronaut's Avatar Xenu
    Quote Originally Posted by _mattyboy_
    WHY 8? And I have no idea what SN and TB are...
    SN= suprnova
    TB= torrentbits

Is all i know atm, im sure others correct me if im wrong.
    Spoiler: Show

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar-Slinger
    SN= suprnova
    TB= torrentbits

Is all i know atm, im sure others correct me if im wrong.
    Yes, those are correct.

Its 8 because there are 8 bits in a byte. Internet speeds go by bits

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    ah ok, I see now, yeah thanks for the help and tips, I'll be sure to check out torrentbits soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12