Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Your Opinions Please

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    "the truth is what you believe"....i like that...we've seen a lot of that here and not just about God

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Doctors and Nurses have convictions or they would not be doing the job they do. Yet they would be unable to do their jobs without tolerance.

Does that make any sense?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Trying to explain creation and a creator in purely human terms is futile. I am sure we have been over this ground several times. Once we have complete understanding of the universe and how it works, then that feat may be possible. However we don't have the tools yet.

The turtle analogy is specious. A nice story but it proves (or disproves) nothing. It makes no more sense than me comparing our lack of understanding to a frog reading Shakespeare. It can't read so it can't understand. True but so what.

Pehaps one day frogs will be able to read, then they can appreciate the Bard's words. Not today tho'.
    It was not meant to prove nor disprove anything.

Just to show how the lady in this instance blindly accepted something, but hadn't really bothered to think it through. She thought the turtle was a done deal and never even considered the implications (what was the turtle supported by).

My posts here are not an attempt to prove nor disprove anything. I was just pointing out that it makes little sense to me to invent something more complex than our Universe to explain it's creation.

As with the Lady, both her premise that the Earth was flat and that a tortoise was required were false. Why change the shape of the Earth and conjure some magnificent animal, when the evidence that the Earth is round was right there, all the time. She made the situation more complex than it needed to be, because she abandoned logic and reason for faith.

Who knows what is right there, if we close our minds and just accept what we are told.

"Trying to explain creation and a creator in purely human terms is futile."- You might let the Religious people know about this, I have been trying to tell them this all along. God is outside of our sphere of knowledge. To assign him powers and opinions is just pointless. What we say about him is solely a reflection of our own desire of what we want him to be, as he is unknowable to us.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    She's not alone though, in claiming the World is flat...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    Someone who does not have strong beliefs does not have to be tolerant. There is no need for them to tolerate anything, as they have no strong beliefs which may be offended. They can accept anything that others choose to say or think, as they don't really care very much. To me tolerance implies the acceptance of the views of others, even when they oppose our own.

I did not say that everyone who has convictions must also be tolerant (as you seem to have read). I said that only people with convictions could be tolerant.
    It's cool man.

It was a goof playing on semantics of bullshit.

If I am tolerant then convictions mean nothing in the space of what you are tolerant of. To have convictions is not to tolerate any other views for it dilutes your convictions.

See what I mean.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Females need a male to create life. Hermaphrodites don't.
    another line that may soon need to be scratched out of nature's rule-books: "females need a male to create life." current cloning techniques have revealed that the egg need only be injected with DNA in order to be fertilized. human eggs can be fertilized without sperm. one female scientist goes into a lab with one human egg and one human DNA sample, comes out with an embryo.

just thought it was worth a mention. :-P

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    actually if you look at nature there are examples where a female will change sex if no males are present.... this happens with some fish..... nature finds a way

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345