Thread: So Israeli policy works?

ruthie's Avatar Poster
    As does mine.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Here's a question:

Who is qualified to authoritatively pronounce on Israeli/Palestinian land rights?

Who has the definitive goods on drawing the borders, etc.?

I know the answer, let's see who else does.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    depends on one's definition of "qualified". By what standard do you qualify one, an organization, country, political body etc. to have the authority? Curious.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    depends on one's definition of "qualified". By what standard do you qualify one, an organization, country, political body etc. to have the authority? Curious.
    Ah, but I'm looking for your answer, ruthie.

Define or qualify as you see fit.

Rest assured, you will have my answer when I get back here-hopefully tomorrow.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Under International Law, as there are outstanding UN resolutions on this, then the correct answer is that Israel should be those of the 1947 boundaries.

If we disregard the UN, then there are 2 possible senarios:

1/ Israel doent exist, as you are not recognising its Authority in the creation of said country.... therefore the whole of the land is Palestine

2/ The whole of the Occupied Territories and Israel itself belong to Israel via "Right of Conquest".

Im sure that you're not supporting the 2nd view, as that means you supported the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, as an example.

Im also quite sure that you do not support the 1st option, as you have commented on the subject often.

By default then, you either support the 1947 Borders, or your a hypocrit... your call
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-04-2004 at 06:37 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    is no one your answer? To my way of thinking it is the UN or if it were possible someone impartial with as many of the facts to hand

Bulldozing someones home solves nothing, you need a peace process which brings hope to both sides. Sharon acting unilaterally is not a feasible solution.
    Last edited by ilw; 11-04-2004 at 06:37 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    As a mother, my first anger would be at my son who, knowing the policy, chose to sacrifice my home for his beliefs.
    I totally agree with your statement Rose(Except the mother bit ) I think you have to find the 'Achilles Heel' of terrorists and strike at that.

I have mixed feelings about this situation. Though I agree that this is the way to deal with terrorists I also disagree with the 'Placing' of an Israeli state within another country.

Just a wee history lesson here for most of you youngsters. Before the Israeli State was created in 1948 by the then fledgling UN, Jewish 'Freedom Fighters' were killing British soldiers in that area. Palestine at that time was under British Mandate.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    the thing is this wasn't "the bombers" house...it was his mothers... just as our house isn't our childrens even though they live here....mind you i do worry because they keep looking up retirement communities on the internet.

my point is that this is equal to punishing an innocent person for something their brother did and it is as bad as the terrorist act in the first place. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    the thing is this wasn't "the bombers" house...it was his mothers... just as our house isn't our childrens even though they live here....mind you i do worry because they keep looking up retirement communities on the internet.

my point is that this is equal to punishing an innocent person for something their brother did and it is as bad as the terrorist act in the first place. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
    I think anything that makes them 'think twice' cannot be a bad thing.
    Good luck with the 'home'. You will be able to play bingo and things like that all day. You will be looking forward to the tea dances. There will be plent of partners for you. (Or would that make it a bun dance )
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Under International Law, as there are outstanding UN resolutions on this, then the correct answer is that Israel should be those of the 1947 boundaries.

If we disregard the UN, then there are 2 possible senarios:

My default position is total disregard of the U.N., but as the creation of Israel was an act committed during the U.N.'s infancy, we'll lay that aside.

1/ Israel doent exist, as you are not recognising its Authority in the creation of said country.... therefore the whole of the land is Palestine

2/ The whole of the Occupied Territories and Israel itself belong to Israel via "Right of Conquest".

I lean in this direction, but with qualification:

The "Occupied Territories" are just that-occupied.

They remain occupied due to the ongoing perception of a threat to Israel, and are likely to remain so in perpetuity or until the threat no longer exists.

The latter seems unlikely, although with the apparently impending passing of Arafat, certain doors are ajar.

Im sure that you're not supporting the 2nd view, as that means you supported the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, as an example.

Wrong.

Iraq's invasion of Kuwait was offensive and coercive; Israel's movements in the territories are defensive.

Surely you note the difference, Rat?

I'm also quite sure that you do not support the 1st option, as you have commented on the subject often.

By default then, you either support the 1947 Borders, or your a hypocrit... your call

Surely you'll understand if I beg to differ...
    How is it nobody here ever comments on Palestine's stated goal of "pushing Israel into the sea"?

The subject has here all the allure of oil-for-food.

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast