Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Why Bush won

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Although I understand why Ruthie and Scroff are disappointed it is perhaps too easy to be become overly depressed. Looking from the outside, with admittedly the knowledge that the result has an extremely limited impact on this side of the Atlantic, I offer the following observations.

Kerry did not so much lose this election as GW won through convincing people to go out and vote. I am sure that if Kerry had been told he would get 55m votes prior to the election he would have been overjoyed (when was the last time a Democrat got that many votes?) The Democrats read the runes correctly, their vote was solid and growing. It is just that GW mobilised a greater support. The reasons for this can be analysed in slower time. The Democrats should in my opinion not beat themselves up too much. Despite the dire warnings, rumours of war and fears of homeland security, close on 50% of the country remained resolutely Liberal. There is lot to build on. It is also sometimes almost as easy to get the society you want whilst in opposition as it is in power.

The next four years should be interesting (albeit perhaps in a Chinese sort of way).
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    But i dont want, and i dont want my kids, to live in Interesting Times...

I disagree on the impact of Bush's election on this side of the Atlantic.. Everything that happens in Washington and New York, has quite a large effect in Europe.

If it didnt, i really wouldnt give 2 monkeys...

I dont know the names of the Heads of State in most of Europe.. and truthfully, i'd be hard put to name more than 10 MP's (Including the Cabinet) without looking them up..

They dont affect me as much imho...
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-06-2004 at 07:45 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    Sanctuary!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    that's why i put this
    i shouldn't have to repeat all my last posts on "the reality" if i am making a point of what i "would like".
    You don't, vidcc. I got your point. I agreed with your point. I was stressing mine. My apologies if that goes against some kind of board etiquette.
    Last edited by scroff; 11-06-2004 at 09:25 PM.
    Ancient Bush family proverb; Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... drown him in the lake and he'll never be hungry again.

Any Which Way.... because there's more to it than Fox tells you.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    Sanctuary!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Although I understand why Ruthie and Scroff are disappointed it is perhaps too easy to be become overly depressed. Looking from the outside, with admittedly the knowledge that the result has an extremely limited impact on this side of the Atlantic, I offer the following observations.

Kerry did not so much lose this election as GW won through convincing people to go out and vote. I am sure that if Kerry had been told he would get 55m votes prior to the election he would have been overjoyed (when was the last time a Democrat got that many votes?) The Democrats read the runes correctly, their vote was solid and growing. It is just that GW mobilised a greater support. The reasons for this can be analysed in slower time. The Democrats should in my opinion not beat themselves up too much. Despite the dire warnings, rumours of war and fears of homeland security, close on 50% of the country remained resolutely Liberal. There is lot to build on. It is also sometimes almost as easy to get the society you want whilst in opposition as it is in power.

The next four years should be interesting (albeit perhaps in a Chinese sort of way).
    I agree. 55,000,000 people not only voted for a liberal democrat, but the number one most liberal senator in congress (if you believe the Bush camp). Not only that, but he was a Massachusetts liberal democrat to boot. (next to satan, there's nothing worse)

What will be interesting is to see how far Bush will push his agenda. This decade could make the sixties look like the fifties.
    Ancient Bush family proverb; Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... drown him in the lake and he'll never be hungry again.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by scroff
    You don't, vidcc. I got your point. I agreed with your point. I was stressing mine. My apologies if that goes against some kind of board etiquette.
    perhaps it's because it is in "type", but it seemed to me because of the "reality" post after quoting me, you think i have no grip on the reality of the situation..... i am VERY aware of it.

no harm done to either side i hope

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    Sanctuary!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    perhaps it's because it is in "type", but it seemed to me because of the "reality" post after quoting me, you think i have no grip on the reality of the situation..... i am VERY aware of it.

no harm done to either side i hope
    No harm at all. There's not much I feel stronger about than the whole chickenhawk thing, so I did go over the top a bit. It wasn't directed at you.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #67
    It's a simple life

I don't talk politics, but I figured I could ask a couple friends who they voted for.

They said "Bush" emphatically.

Why?

Money, I keep more of the money I earn.

What about Iraq and other issues?

Listen, politicians do 2 things: lie and waste money. I vote for the guy who takes less money from me.

That was it, story end.

That is why Bush won, I think many people think as they do. Bush taxes less, done deal.

A simple life.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

8. The Drawing Room   -   #68
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    It's a simple life

I don't talk politics, but I figured I could ask a couple friends who they voted for.

They said "Bush" emphatically.

Why?

Money, I keep more of the money I earn.

What about Iraq and other issues?

Listen, politicians do 2 things: lie and waste money. I vote for the guy who takes less money from me.

That was it, story end.

That is why Bush won, I think many people think as they do. Bush taxes less, done deal.

A simple life.
    I have heard this as well from a couple of my doctor friends and some that own businesses. Ironically those that voted for him were all white except one and he was Republican anyway. Actually shit, they are all Republican.

I guess their vote wasn't surprising. Evil votes I tell you...evil. None of them btw used their tax breaks to create more jobs. Even they knew that was bullshit.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

9. The Drawing Room   -   #69
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Quote Originally Posted by scroff
    No harm at all. There's not much I feel stronger about than the whole chickenhawk thing, so I did go over the top a bit. It wasn't directed at you.
    Sorry for the delay, situations deemed impossible to reply, and I honestly forgot until I noticed scroffs signature...

Aa vid has made clear, the lesson that "rich white boys" do not effecively consider the lives of our military...and that very well be true. Scroff's antagonizing, though, spurrs me to point a few things out.

Since you are vehemently against the U.S. being in Iraq, will you go to ease casualty loss, rebuild Iraqi infactructure, or possibly fight the U.S. forces in Iraq? (I don't think that you have stated such sentiments, but others here had revealed that if they were in Iraq, they would fight the military). The same relinquishments that you ask of me are made to you. If no such actions are taken, I see your objectives not in stemming military casualties, but to politicize them for your agenda's benefit.

You obviously feel strongly about military losses, as do I. But in my viewpoint (just as you see me taking military losses for granted), can you sympathize with over 4000,000 men woman, and children executed and thrown in mass graves? Are their lives not worth something? These people are innocently sloughtered, yet there is no subsequent action from a liberal vantage point. Maybe as you see my carelessness for our Military dead, I see yours of Iraqi civilians dead.

You see explicit American corruption, and are against it; yet, do you seee the distrucive policies of a dictator as I do? as you think I turn a blind eye towards invading Iraq, I see you turning a blind eye toward a regime that otherwise would be entrenched in the middle east for ages as it passed down to his murderous sons.

My thoughts...yelp all you want.
    Last edited by spinningfreemanny; 11-09-2004 at 10:46 PM.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #70
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Yet so many of those killed were not executed during Liberal Governments. The bulk of Saddam's extremes occurred under Reagan, Thatcher and Bush senior - not Clinton, Major and Blair. Little was said by the Reagan administration when Saddam gassed the Kurds.

Saddam's regime was an unpleasant one, but his worst days were well over ten years ago.

With regards the fighting - it is inevitable. No one likes to see foreign troops telling people what to do - even if your own Government are shits. Can you imagine US citizens taking kindly to Arab troops manning road blocks in the US even if they had come to help out topple a dictatorship (Peewee Herman having seized control). Even with the best will, the honeymoon period after liberation wears thin very quickly. In Iraq there was very little good will to start with.
    Last edited by Biggles; 11-09-2004 at 11:14 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast