Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Happy Pollution Day :01:

Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Not explosives Jonno, fireworks, I don't think a 19 year old lad should be able to buy C4 from Mr Patel's
    Go buy £100's worth of fireworks and empty them into a paint can, then stick a fuse in the top and light it, would you stand anywhere near it?

No, because it will explode, firewoks are pretty explosives, they explode, they contain variants of gunpwder, they are mini bombs, simple

@Cheese........Don't play that card, I'm not ranting at all, I'm making a point.you dissagree, thats fine, but all the arguments so far against it have been weak, avoiding the point that explosives are readily available. And that thousands of bonfires will be lit when they are banned the rest of the year.

Jonno

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene

@Cheese........Don't play that card, I'm not ranting at all, I'm making a point.you dissagree, thats fine, but all the arguments so far against it have been weak, avoiding the point that explosives are readily available. And that thousands of bonfires will be lit when they are banned the rest of the year.

Jonno
    Your arguments are weak Jonno not mine. You didn't answer my question, perhaps you don't have an answer?

Why should the majority suffer because of a stupid and very small minority?

Btw You can make a bomb out of a lot of stuff that is freely available.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 11-05-2004 at 02:02 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    :Manker......you agree with the sale of explosives to ANYone over the age of 18?

an...No I don't want fireworks banned because of pollution, I want the general sale of them banned, I'll put something into perspective for you.

I'm 27, I cannot buy good weed killer because of it's explosive content.
    I cannot carry a penknife even tho I use it for work.
    I cannot buy any kind of bird scarring explosive device without a liscence.
    I cannot buy creosote due to it's chemical content (even thjo thined down)

there's a shitload of stuff I can't do and buy, but!........

I CAN buy as many explosives as I want, from a toy shop.

You're telling me that's right?

And like I said, just cos the US are doing that and I'm not moaning about it does'nt mean we have to follow does it? Are we not an independant country?
    I'm talking about what WE (the UK) are doing today, the US thing is a totally different issue.

Jonno

Thats a pretty hefty edit 6 minutes later when no one will see it

Since when has been it illegal to have a bonfire any other time than this weekend?

The arguements haven't been weak you melt, what are you arguments for banning them? Cos some poeple are nobs and injure themselves with it?

Well fuck me, why don't we ban cars on that strength, and alchol, oh and Xmas fairy lights cos they can catch fire

Jonno, if you want some creosote let me know, I'll pop down the place wherre I went for an interview last week, they pointed it out to me on my tour of the warehouse
    Last edited by DanB; 11-05-2004 at 02:05 PM.

4. Lounge   -   #34
    Actually cheese making a bomb now is'nt that easy from household stuff, why do you think things like Sodium Clorate don't work very well anymore? and creosote is now off the market?

I apologise, I did'nt see your question, my answer is simple.

Because there will be thousand of Children!!! badly burned tonight thru stupidity, you compared to drunk people, they are adults, most people injured are plastered and doing stupid things, but the majority of kids (and adults) injured and possibly killed today will be thru other people, throwing exploding devices, planting them, stuffing them thru letter boxes etc, you don't seem to understand my point, whatever you think the bare fact is these are Explosives, no different to a bomb, just prettier, the insides are the same.
    You would'nt agree with anyone who wanted to looking for landmines along our beachses and exploding them themselfs would you? Same thing, cept these fireworks are projectile bombs.

Jonno

@ Dan........there are restrictions on houshold bonfires now, go down your local council and ask for details as it varies from county to county.
    As for the rest, see above.And creosote is illegal to seel since April this year I should know.
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 11-05-2004 at 02:11 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #35
    For starters fireworks are nowhere near as powerful as landmines

Did you see the link cheese posted? 1000 injuries at A&E, not thouhsands of badly scarred little children, stop exaggerating.

You haven't said what you thaought about abnning the other items I suggested that can cause injury

You should know? Do you sell creosote in the newsagents then?
    Last edited by DanB; 11-05-2004 at 02:12 PM.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I see your point Jonno. But no way are you going to stop it. Unless you lock up every kid(Including big kids) in the country for a couple of weeks.Just keep sober tonight Jonno. Remember, Remember the 5th of November. Then you wont go flying out to sea every time you see a flare go up.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. Lounge   -   #37
    manker's Avatar effendi

That's the first time I'd seen that edit too!

Jonno, your arguments have all been dealt with:

- The pollution one, cause it's insignificant c.f other pollutants.

- The cost to the Treasury because of injuries, you're a smoker and ya can't have it both ways.

- The dangerousity of explosives being on sale, they are no more dangerous to the general public than petrol - they are also much more expensive, this is why a molotov cocktail isn't made out of fireworks.

Did you like my new word
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    Quote Originally Posted by jonno
    dan...No I don't want fireworks banned because of pollution, I want the general sale of them banned, I'll put something into perspective for you.
    For not wanting them banned cos of pollution you sure mentioned it enough

Seriously tho, it's a bit stupid, the whole thing, we know the ozone is pretty fucked right? and our cars have to give off low emmisions etc right? But the entire country will have what? 70,000? 150,000 bonfires tonight?
    I'm sorry but there's nothing right about todays festivities, the reason is sick, the fact that kids make a doll of a human to burn is sick, the sale of explosives is sick, the amount of pollution is sick.
    Also just because they are doing that it makes it right for England to litter the sky with thick smog from thousands of bonfires?
    Last edited by DanB; 11-05-2004 at 02:17 PM.

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Actually cheese making a bomb now is'nt that easy from household stuff, why do you think things like Sodium Clorate don't work very well anymore? and creosote is now off the market?

I apologise, I did'nt see your question, my answer is simple.

Because there will be thousand of Children!!! badly burned tonight thru stupidity, you compared to drunk people, they are adults, most people injured are plastered and doing stupid things, but the majority of kids (and adults) injured and possibly killed today will be thru other people, throwing exploding devices, planting them, stuffing them thru letter boxes etc, you don't seem to understand my point, whatever you think the bare fact is these are Explosives, no different to a bomb, just prettier, the insides are the same.
    You would'nt agree with anyone who wanted to looking for landmines along our beachses and exploding them themselfs would you? Same thing, cept these fireworks are projectile bombs.

Jonno

That doesn't really answer my question really does it?

I accept the fact that there will be injuries at this time of year. Unfortunately, for the most, this will be down to stupidity. In fact you've listed the ways that these injuries could occur.

However you offer no answer to the crux of my question which is why should the vast majority of responsible adults be made to suffer because of an irresponsible minority?

It seems to me that the tightening of the laws regarding fireworks is the best way.

I fail to see the significance of landmines in this discussion. These are not devices that if used correctly will not cause harm to anyone. Pure and simply they are designed to injure and kill.

Also your rhetoric is too emotional here, you are implying that a 1000 children will be badly burned tonight. That simply is not true.

The figure would be nearer 50, with perhaps around 1000 minor injuries.

However this is also questionable with the new restrictions. I would hazard we will see far fewer injuries this year.

There is a happy medium. That of tighter restrictions and better education. Children with fireworks should have them confiscated and the adult who supplied them fined heavily. That would be a start. I'm sure we can all come up with other ideas.

I think with this approach you'd see a heft drop.

Will there still be injuries? Yes. But for the joy and entertainment that is to be had it's more than worth it. Everything comes at some price. Like smoking for instance.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 11-05-2004 at 02:30 PM.

10. Lounge   -   #40
    @Mnker....-
    The pollution one, cause it's insignificant c.f other pollutants.
    So that makes it right for us to do it? Korea are brutal to animals, does that mean because they do it , it makes it ok for us to?

The cost to the Treasury because of injuries, you're a smoker and ya can't have it both ways.
    Thats a fiar comment, I can't really argue that.

The dangerousity of explosives being on sale, they are no more dangerous to the general public than petrol - they are also much more expensive, this is why a molotov cocktail isn't made out of fireworks
    (This answer also applies to cheese)

Why ban guns and knives etc? If it's ok to have fireworks just cos the few spoil it, what about guns? I used to love going on fields shooting targets (never animals).
    I also collect knives but my current collection is ilegal and should have been handed in.
    I suffered because of stupid people , was that fair?
    Before you answer that, just tell me if a firework can kill?

@Dan ...... Dude nowhere in those quotes does it say fireworks should be banned due to pollution, it says bonfires. Big piles of tyres, polystirene and various other shit that gives off black smoke.

As for creosote, no mate, I worked in a hardware store that sold it, I was also a builder when it was banned, thats why I should know, because I've bought 100's of gallons of it and worked with it for years, I can no longer buy it.
    If you can prove me wrong I will apologise, but prove me wrong you wont

Jonno

Edit about the injuries...... Last year 3 people died in East Anglia due to fireworks, I don't care what the count is, the FACT is thousands of people will get hurt, be it minor and unreported or serious. And the majority will be at private displays or just on the street.
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 11-05-2004 at 02:32 PM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast