Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealing With The Offencive Minority.

I have read the post about UKMan and others about their disillusionment Leading to a long standing member leaving

1,Ignore them

IMO it essential to have a consensus of option and then when someone posts a provocative or ignorant post, we should not get sucked in however personal it feels and stand together and universally ignore it. If the idiots get no response except from each other they will soon get bored and rant on in private, or at least move on to more fertile ground.

2,Exile

If their are enough complaints (decided by maybe a vote between the moderators) then the offensive posts could be moved to a separate topic with a warning for offensive nonsense.
    The administrator could set up a topic called Coventry or gutter or exile maybe and move all offensive threads and or posts their.
    Obviously this has to be done sensibly as we all swear when the occasion fits that is why we need a set of criteria

3,Banning

An alternate option is to have a complaint’s system with sliding penalties.
    The moderators could set a scale of punishment for offensive and foul language.
    And for persistent offenders have a sliding scale of ever-increasing suspensions from the board starting at an hour and eventually leading to banishment.
    A message could be sent out and a time limit for response and any mod who doesn't respond is taken as a don't know.

Smaller punishments should be allotted individually and larger ones on a vote basis
    and maybe have a overall moderator voted for by the others who decides about any complaints

I understand people can re-register but surely they will get fed up with getting new email addresses every time especially if they get no response.

Please could the mods consider these options and tell me what you think.

Marcus..........

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    What happened?

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Sherlock_Holmes
    Who said UKMan had left ?

Peace
    S.Holmes

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    Originally posted by Sherlock_Holmes@28 March 2003 - 15:13

Peace
    S.Holmes
    Sorry Mr Holmes, I hadn,t noticed your avitar, but you did say you were leaving.
    I'm new here so I took you at your word, I'll know better in the future..............only joking.
    I've read some of your posts and it was obvious you would be missed.

what do you think of the ideas?

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Sherlock_Holmes
    Originally posted by Marcus+28 March 2003 - 15:24--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Marcus @ 28 March 2003 - 15:24)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Sherlock_Holmes@28 March 2003 - 15:13

Peace
    S.Holmes
    Sorry Mr Holmes, I hadn,t noticed your avitar, but you did say you were leaving.
    I&#39;m new here so I took you at your word, I&#39;ll know better in the future..............only joking.
    I&#39;ve read some of your posts and it was obvious you would be missed.

what do you think of the ideas? [/b][/quote]
    Well bro - UKMan&#39;s word is allways true.

As far as your thoughts on the topic you wrote:

In my own humble opinion i think the Mods are the ones that controll the way things should be run here - whether or not people agree is another thing. However, everyone is entitled to express an opinion as long as it isnt offensive. Now, someone will obviously say "but whats offensive to one is not to the other" - this is bullsh*t and just an excuse for not wanting to abide by the rules.

You have expressed yourself in a friendly and constructive way and im sure they will consider your views.

I however, do not try to read what isnt there and try to abide by the ethics and rules of this board and whats considered to be "proper" by the Staus Quo. When people join, they are given the rules - easily accessble and if they miss them, then they are usually politely told where to find them. That should be enough. Also, as far as warnings are concerned - i think one warning is enough - if you dont get the idea by then, then you need some education LOL

You have bought up some good points, i believe others have mentioned similar ones as well.

Peace
    S.Holmes (UKMan appologises for any decievement he might have instigated)

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    I&#39;m sure that some of what is mentioned here is already being done. A lot is done in private messages and we don&#39;t see it.

I also agree that we should ignore those posts. Without the attention they will give up because that all it&#39;s about... Getting attention. I think it&#39;s all a bit childish.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    @Sherlock Holmes
    I only wrote the post as a thinking point It might generate an idea in others or it might be dismissed altogether if it does lead to the tiniest part of a future idea then I will have done something for this board.

On your point on offence what they say about offence levels being different is true but you should tailor your behaviour towards the most easily offended (within reason) and not the least bothered. But then they would say it is normal and within reason as everyone they know talks like that. You can&#39;t ever beat true stubbornness

@Nobody1234 at least people are on the ball, It&#39;s hard not to rise sometimes though.

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    Poster
    I think that people think because this is the Internet that insulting people is acceptable and not the same as insulting someone in the real world.

I mean if someone said half the things that I have seen being said to another person in the real world then I&#39;d tell them to prepare for a slap&#33;

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Originally posted by mrcall1969@28 March 2003 - 16:30
    I think that people think because this is the Internet that insulting people is acceptable and not the same as insulting someone in the real world.

I mean if someone said half the things that I have seen being said to another person in the real world then I&#39;d tell them to prepare for a slap&#33;
    I could imagine taking them into a Rugby club in the Welsh Valleys and making them say those things to someones mother.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by Marcus@28 March 2003 - 16:23
    ...On your point on offence what they say about offence levels being different is true but you should tailor your behaviour towards the most easily offended (within reason) and not the least bothered...
    Of course, the most easy offended person is horribly offended by words such as "damn," "hell," and "taking the Lord&#39;s name in vain." Fiddlesticks and drat can constitute strong language, remember.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast