Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: schools allowing creationism

ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Just great...here is the religious right's interference in PUBLIC school systems.
    If you are into your kid learning religious theory, send them to religious school..on your dime. This really makes me angry. If my kids were still school-age, and I lived in one of the places that had creationism as part of their curriculum, you can bet I'd be attending meetings, talking to senators and congressmen, etc. This is just the start..try to indoctrinate the children.

Wis. city's schools allowing creationism

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

GRANTSBURG, Wis. -- The city's school board has revised its science curriculum to allow the teaching of creationism, prompting an outcry from more than 300 educators who urged that the decision be reversed.

School board members believed that a state law governing the teaching of evolution was too restrictive. The science curriculum "should not be totally inclusive of just one scientific theory," said Joni Burgin, superintendent of the district of 1,000 students in northwest Wisconsin.

Last month, when the board examined its science curriculum, language was added calling for "various models/theories" of origin to be incorporated.

The decision provoked more than 300 biology and religious studies faculty members to write a letter last week urging the Grantsburg board to reverse the policy. It follows a letter sent previously by 43 deans at Wisconsin public universities.

"Insisting that teachers teach alternative theories of origin in biology classes takes time away from real learning, confuses some students and is a misuse of limited class time and public funds," said Don Waller, a botanist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Wisconsin law mandates that evolution be taught, but school districts are free to create their own curricular standards, said Joe Donovan, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Instruction.

There have been scattered efforts around the nation for other school boards to adopt similar measures. Last month the Dover Area School Board in Pennsylvania voted to require the teaching of alternative theories to evolution, including "intelligent design" - the idea that life is too complex to have developed without a creator.

The state education board in Kansas was heavily criticized in 1999 when it deleted most references to evolution. The decision was reversed in 2001.

In March, the Ohio Board of Education narrowly approved a lesson plan that some critics contended opens the door to teaching creationism.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I believe in a "creator" and still disagree with it being taught in science classes.

Total bullshit.

I wonder what stories behind this are being taught?

Christian?
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Pretty scary...makes me wanna

anywhichway

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Teaching it in a biology class may be a little much.

A comparative civilizations or religion class would be perfect. The only issue then, perhaps, would be having to allow creation myths from other peoples and religious perspectives.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    That would be a great type of class..for older students... It is one thing to be curious and want to learn...and it is important to teach about other cultures, religions, etc. It might make for better understanding of the world we live in as well as acceptance and tolerance of people that have different beliefs.
    I think one of the big problems is that many people believe "their" belief system is the be all, end all...the ultimate truth. How arrogant.

anywhichway

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I think that all religious education should be proscribed in schools. The time that this normally takes should be taken up with the teaching of moral bahaviour, the good part of religion. Unless someone comes along and actually proves the existence of a 'super being' then I dont thing the state should be inculcating our children with such thoughts. Especially when it results in the exclusion of facts.

Maybe they should all watch 'Inherit The Wind'.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Sanctuary!
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    I believe in a "creator" and still disagree with it being taught in science classes.

Total bullshit.

I wonder what stories behind this are being taught?

Christian?
    If you're curious about Creation Science

Christian Answers

The Great Flood killed the dinosaurs...

I used to go to Religious Ed for this shit
    Ancient Bush family proverb; Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... drown him in the lake and he'll never be hungry again.

Any Which Way.... because there's more to it than Fox tells you.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    We learn about religion alot in history class, actually. I mean the Reformation is too important to be left out of Englands history. And we learn about mormons and lutherans and everyone.... I do agree teaching it in science class is practically... propaganda? A religion class would be nice too, actually, as long as it wasnt biased. Have some athiest teach it, then all is well.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDan
    We learn about religion alot in history class, actually. I mean the Reformation is too important to be left out of Englands history. And we learn about mormons and lutherans and everyone.... I do agree teaching it in science class is practically... propaganda? A religion class would be nice too, actually, as long as it wasnt biased. Have some athiest teach it, then all is well.
    This would still be taught as part of history. I am not advocating removal of religion from history. In fact it is imperative that it is part of history. Let people make up their own minds about why people should be burnt at the stake and all the type of cruelty carried out, especially the spanish Inquisition, in the name of religion, because someone was guilty of 'Heresy'.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    religious teaching in schools should be confined to teaching understanding about different cultures so the future generation will be more tollerant than this one. Historical events that were caused by religioun such as the inquistition or the crusades are valid parts of human history.

schools should NOT be teaching if god exists or not.

religious teachings as regards to gods existance are the sole responsibility of the parents... Government at whatever level has NO right and should have no right to teach this. State schools are paid for via tax so no religion...privately funded schools can do as they wish.
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-07-2004 at 05:24 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast