Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death of Fallujah

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    exactly, and their excuse?

a) Collateral Damage
    b) Insurgents (this includes children btw)

take your pick. makes me want to puke

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    American forces stormed into the outskirts of Fallujah early today, seizing the main city hospital and securing two key bridges over the Euphrates river.

It appeared to be the first stage of the long-expected assault on the Iraqi insurgent stronghold.

The US military reported its first casualties of the offensive – two Marines killed when their bulldozer flipped over into the Euphrates River.

An AC-130 gunship raked the city all night long with cannon fire as heavy explosions from US artillery continued into the morning. Four 500-pound bombs were dropped over Fallujah before dawn. Orange fireballs from high explosive airbursts could be seen above the rooftops.

American officials said the toughest fight was yet to come – when American forces enter the main part of the city on the east bank of the river, including the Jolan neighbourhood where insurgent defences are believed the strongest.

Two Marine brigades and an Army brigade are currently positioned north of the city.

By noon (0900 GMT) Marines fighting their way into the city secured an apartment building in the north-western corner of the city, said Marines Captain Brian Heatherman.

“The Marines have now gained a foothold in the city,” said Heatherman, 32.

The initial attacks on Fallujah began just hours after the Iraqi government declared 60 days of emergency rule throughout most of the country as militants dramatically escalated attacks, killing at least 30 people, including two Americans.

Several hundred Iraqi troops were sent into Fallujah’s main hospital after US forces sealed off the area. The troops detained about 50 men of military age inside the hospital, but about half were later released.

Many patients were herded into hallways and handcuffed until troops determined whether they were insurgents hiding in the hospital.

Hospital chief Dr Salih al-Issawi said he had asked US officers to allow doctors and ambulances go inside the main part of the city to help the wounded but they refused.

In an apparent reference to the Iraqi troops, Fallujah clerics issued a statement calling them the ”occupiers’ lash on their fellow countrymen.”

“This statement is our last threat to you. We swear by God that we will stand for you in the streets, we will enter your houses and we will slaughter you just like sheep,” the statement said.

UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan and others have warned that a military offensive could trigger a wave of violence that would sabotage the January elections by alienating Sunnis, who form the core of the insurgency. About 60% of Iraq’s 25 million people are Shiite.

The Association of Muslim Scholars, an influential Sunni clerics group condemned the assault on Fallujah.

“The attack on Fallujah is an illegal and illegitimate action against civilian and innocent people. We denounce this operation which will have a grave consequences on the situation in Iraq,” said spokesman Mohammed Bashar al-Faidhi.

As dawn broke, the roar of jet aircraft could be heard in Baghdad heading westward toward Fallujah.

Interim prime minister Ilyad Allawi said a state of emergency, which applies throughout the country except for Kurdish-ruled areas in the north, is a “very powerful message that we are serious” about reining in insurgents before elections set for late January.

“We want to secure the country so elections can be done in a peaceful way and the Iraqi people can participate in the elections freely, without the intimidation by terrorists and by forces who are trying to wreck the political process in Iraq,” he told reporters.

The emergency decree lays the groundwork for a severe crackdown in areas where guerrillas operate. Under the law, all traffic and men between the ages of 15 and 55 were banned from the streets of Fallujah and surrounding areas 24 hours a day.

All members of the Fallujah police and security services were suspended indefinitely and all roads into Fallujah and neighbouring Ramadi were closed indefinitely.
    Source

Strange... it mentions a couple of US casualties that resulted from their vehicle overturning on the Bridge.

I wonder how many Iraqi casualties so far, resulting from 500Ib bombs being dropped on the city (including a Market) and other Airstrikes, Artillery and Gunships...

There again, maybe it doesnt matter in certain quarters:

Colonel Gary Brandl of the United States Marine Corps commented: "The enemy has a face. It is Satan's. He is in Fallujah, and we are going to destroy him."
    I cant see the difference between Christian Fundamentalism and Islamic, personally...

Both groups are a bunch of ignorant biggots.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-08-2004 at 11:43 AM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    The interim prime minister in Iraq has just given permission for the "International and Iraqi" troops to attack Fullujah...
    Last edited by SeK612; 11-08-2004 at 11:50 AM.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    US troops have banned men aged from 15 to 50 from entering or leaving the Iraqi rebel-held city of Fallujah, warning they could become a target ahead of an expected military offensive.

Women and children will be allowed to leave the city but cannot return until "order is restored," the US military said.

"Attention, attention! All men aged between 15 and 50 are forbidden from entering or exiting (the area)," loudspeakers on top of US military vehicles declared in Arabic as they drove around the outskirts of the city.

"If they do, they will become a target," the military warned. "Only women and children are allowed to leave on condition that they do not return until order is restored."
    Source

Looks like all men are targets no matter what....

From the Black Watch Post:

On the ground, a marine commander told his young crew they were headed for victory if they entered the Sunni Muslim bastion, west of Baghdad.

"You will be making history," Major General Richard Natonski said.

"Forty years from now, 100 years from now, they will be talking about the battle of Fallujah."

Another commander was more wary, ordering his men to be on constant alert.

"If someone raises their hands in surrender, what are you going to do? Shoot him," Colonel Michael Shupp said.

"Why? Because of the threat of suicide bombers."

Soldiers and marines are psyched and ready for action after the rallying words from their commanders.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-08-2004 at 12:04 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    I cant see the difference between Christian Fundamentalism and Islamic, personally...

Both groups are a bunch of ignorant biggots.
    Agreed.

"If someone raises their hands in surrender, what are you going to do? Shoot him," Colonel Michael Shupp said.

"Why? Because of the threat of suicide bombers."
    Hmmm, justification that what American Soldiers "will" be doing might be genocide and terrorism. But then again they're safe, because America is not on the ICC's list.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    At the hospital they went into last night, first they said they killed 38 "insurgents". then they said they captured them, handcuffed prisoners, I mean patients inthe hallway, etc. Now they (the US) is saying the "insurgents" are going to use civilians THEY (the "insurgents") didn't let leave the city as human shields and claim the troops killed them.
    I say bullshit. I expect to hear the US say that's what's going to happen, since they don't count civilian death anyway..yeah, that's the ticket...let's say the "insurgents" kill them. I believe almost nothing from our gov't. of liars.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    SeK612's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Reuters are reporting that the full scale assault on Fallujah is underway. Reports here are saying that a combination of detanations to tackle the road side bombs and traps left for the advancing army, air attacks and a mass move of infantry and tanks is taking place as the assult gets underway.
    Last edited by SeK612; 11-08-2004 at 04:19 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Is it only me that finds it slightly disturbing that you can go and watch it lve on the news channels?

I mean I remember watching 'Shock & Awe' kick off Friday evening down the pub after work
    Last edited by DanB; 11-08-2004 at 04:55 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Well, remember..they pick and choose what they "let" us see. I heard one guy on CNN state suddenly..um, there could be 10,000 insurgent.
    Um, last night they said 2-3000. Prime example of covering one's ass to hide the amount of civilian casualties.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    The figure I keep hearing on the telly is 6000 but I guess it never hurts to inflate it a bit.

Bit off topic but has anyone seen the Voices of Iraq film? Where they gave 150 vidoe cameras to Iraqi people?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast