Thread: UK 3rd in the world for ITC

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    The Government is bragging about the state of the "e-nation" after claiming that UK businesses are now among the "most sophisticated users of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in the world".

An International Benchmarking Study for the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) by consultants Booz Allen Hamilton found that the UK is the third most sophisticated user of IT behind Sweden and Ireland.

Source

What crap...

The UK has one of the worst Domestic Broadband in Europe.

Slovenia is way ahead of us, never mind the big European names..

Amazing what "Facts" you can spin, if you limit the questions....

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    we're not doing that bad are we, i saw the list below on the bbc website a few days ago (its not the top 10 i don't think, just some of the major countries)

Broadband per 100 people
    15.8 Netherlands
    15.6 Denmark
    12.1 Sweden
    8.3 France
    7.5 UK
    6.7 Germany
    6.4 Portugal
    6.3 Italy
    6.1 Spain

well off netherlands & denmark, but they're alot smaller (and i'm sure there are other small countires in europe which have higher percentages than us). Can't think of an excuse why we're so far off sweden. Other people show very different stats, i think the major difference is in whether you count 128k as broadband, the stats above (and all other ofcom stats) don't count it.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Its not just Broadband i was counting, but the actual speed thats available to the Domestic Market.

Last year we were comparing, and the most we could get Domestically was 2MB, whereas Slovenia were getting 4-5MB and were upgrading then...

I think we can now get upto 3MB Nationally in the UK and if in London 5MB... but for what you have to pay for it compared to elsewhere in Europe where these speeds appear to be the base standard...

This is why i was saying "Spin", as they are just counting "Business" that use the internet... not the State/Speed of Broadband in comparison to anywhere else.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    well the bit you posted
    Quote Originally Posted by rat
    The Government is bragging about the state of the "e-nation" after claiming that UK businesses are now among the "most sophisticated users of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in the world".
    Perhaps it's just the way i am reading but to me domestic is private houses etc. which is not what the sniippet you posted seems to be talking about

edit: you posted before i pressed submit
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-08-2004 at 07:41 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Poster
    The article refers to how internet technology is being used by businesses, not how many people are connected to it through broadband.
    The fact that mention of increased broadband connectivity by businesses helping to promote their business model to an ICT level bears little or no relation to actual available speeds as compared to that of other countries.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?