Thread: CJD Timebomb?

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    No one is immune to the human form of mad cow disease, variant CJD, new research suggests today.

Some people whose genetic make-up normally acts as a barrier against infection may ultimately develop a different and so-far unrecognised type of disease, it is claimed.

Scientists have shown that individuals with a pair of genes known as MM – about a third of the population – acquire vCJD relatively easily.

No one with a different paring, VV, has been known to suffer the disease.

Then in August it emerged that a patient from a mixed MV genetic group had been infected with vCJD from contaminated blood, without showing any symptoms. Just over half the population has the MV pairing.

The news sparked fears of a mad cow disease “timebomb” in the population, with thousands of people unwittingly carrying the brain disease on a long incubation fuse.
    Source

This is worrying.

The UK probably has less to worry about than the USA in the long term, as we banned a lot of products that could be contaminated with BSE years ago, whereas many of these products are still sold in the USA despite numerous cases of BSE there in recent years.

Still... wish i didnt have all those McDonalds 10 years ago

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    so what's new ?

We want cheap food, some because they can't afford anything else, and cheap food comes at a price. we are our own worst enemies.

The CJD point is worrying, however it's just one problem in a whole barrel of problems that really are our own making.

I would like to see something done about all this messing with the food chain and our drinking water. Personally i try where available to buy organic (i have to trust the vendor as to the product being organic), I am lucky i can afford to do this.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    i am assuming you actually understood the price being quality standards in farming and not meaning financial cost of the purchaser

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Unfortunately, it seems in our area, a "cluster" of this was found. The Health Dep't. keeps telling everyone..it's no big deal, it's not really a cluster. The local papers had a few articles about it, but that is all. We've all been waiting to hear more, but then again, the friggin health dep't here tells people they have no idea about flu shots either. The health dep't might as well be in Mayberry rfd..but their's would probably be better
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway