Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Scott Peterson case

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    If she was nearly 9 months, it wasnt fetal tissue anywhere... as far as i'm aware
    Do you have partial-birth abortion in the U.K., Rat?

9-month status doesn't bear on it here.

The Dr. can literally "abort" the baby as it emerges from the birth-canal.

California is at the leading-edge of such legal contortionism.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Abortion is legal in the UK up to the 24th week of pregnancy. However, if there is a substantial risk to the woman's life or if there are foetal abnormalities there is no time limit... so i guess they might.

To comply with the 1967 Abortion Act, two doctors must give their consent, stating that to continue with the pregnancy would present a risk to the physical or mental health of the woman or her existing children.

In other words, its not upto the mother whether she gets an abortion after the 24th week, its upto the Dr's.

The baby is considered to be alive after the 24th week... and so at 9 months pregnant, it should be treated exactly the same as if the baby was killed after Birth.
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-10-2004 at 09:50 PM.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    In other words, its not upto the mother whether she gets an abortion after the 24th week, its upto the Dr's.
    A significant distinction, as much as I find both situations less than satisfactory.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    A significant distinction, as much as I find both situations less than satisfactory.
    A Dr wont let someone have an Abortion after 24 weeks, just because she doesnt want a baby... there has to be a Medical Reason, and that Diagnoses has to be backed up by another Dr.

I find this very satisfactory.

As i've said before, i was devestated in my youth once, when a girlfriend had an Abortion with my child.

That does not alter the fact that it was her Right to Choose... even if i strongly disagreed with her.

It was her body, i could not and should not dictate to her what she does with it.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    A Dr wont let someone have an Abortion after 24 weeks, just because she doesnt want a baby... there has to be a Medical Reason, and that Diagnoses has to be backed up by another Dr.

I find this very satisfactory.

As i've said before, i was devestated in my youth once, when a girlfriend had an Abortion with my child.

That does not alter the fact that it was her Right to Choose... even if i strongly disagreed with her.

It was her body, i could not and should not dictate to her what she does with it.

Just so-

BTW-it's your penis; would she have been so accomodating had you decided to promote/claim a right to choose where/how or on/in whom to use it?

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    About as accomodating as i would have been about who uses her Vigina?

Seriously, i'd like to see it lowered from 24 weeks to 14-16 weeks..

Other than that, i believe strongly in the womans right to choose whether her body should be an incubator or not.

It's not my place, nor do i wish to, force my personal morals and ethics on someone else... especially someone i care about.

Unlike some, i wouldnt have been there in the 1st place unless i did care
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-10-2004 at 10:22 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Other than that, i believe strongly in the womans right to choose whether her body should be an incubator or not.

Yes, but what should be implied also is that, if she be inclined to opt for incubation, the condition should be treated with the attendant and appropriate gravity, as to do so goes far beyond the comparatively minor decision of whether or not to allow someone to merely "use" her vagina.

See the difference?

It's not my place, nor do i wish to, force my personal morals and ethics on someone else... especially someone i care about.
    In a more perfect world, we might choose a partner with whom we share certain morals and ethics to begin with.

I say this as one who also made (as Rat has) that most grave of mistakes.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    What of the rights of the child.
    I think you and I are at a bit of a disconnect with the others on this point, JP.

That the rights of the unborn are given such short shrift is an enigma to me also.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    spinningfreemanny's Avatar I'm everything you want
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    I think you and I are at a bit of a disconnect with the others on this point, JP.

That the rights of the unborn are given such short shrift is an enigma to me also.
    It bothers me that in this society, certain animals and plants are given more right to life then an unborn infant.
    Last edited by spinningfreemanny; 11-11-2004 at 06:44 AM.
    Do you know everything? do you know 3% of everything? Could it be that what you don't believe in is in the other 97%?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Sanctuary!
    It comes down to who's rights are more valid, for lack of a better word, a human being, already living and breathing on this Earth, or a fetus? When do we get to the point where sperm and egg are considered to have "rights". We already have a president who opposes stem cell research because an embryo could one day become a child (so could one of the millions of those little suckers little willie lets go in the privacy of his room ), that's not real far from saying embryos have rights... . I agree with RF, the issue is not one of abortion, but one of a woman's (and a man's) right to choose for themselves, whether or not I agree.
    Ancient Bush family proverb; Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... drown him in the lake and he'll never be hungry again.

Any Which Way.... because there's more to it than Fox tells you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast