Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Which car should I buy next

Lilmiss's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert00000
    Its a pretty peugeot 206 and ideal for a girl.

Tin cans?

I've driven trucks, vans and buses better than most men can.
    Last edited by lilmiss; 11-10-2004 at 12:47 AM.
    Last edited by Alien5; Today at 12:51

2. Lounge   -   #82
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    Not acording to my research it does'nt, you might wanna try again
    Google image search? You're having a laugh.

Nothing beats prior knowledge but a proper definition is good as a back up if the person doesn't recognise what you're trying to say.

Here:

Machined.

def:

v. ma·chined, ma·chin·ing, ma·chines
    v. tr.

To cut, shape, or finish by machine.

Source

Anyone that labels a bolt thread as a machine thread is mistaken because the correct terminology is machined. To suggest otherwise is not only bad grammar but also misleading, which I believe was Cheese's point.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Lounge   -   #83
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    FFS Robert learn to resize.

These things piss me off so much I could kill someone.

Edit: Oops, maybe that was harsh.

I 'd just injure 'em is all.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 11-10-2004 at 12:54 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #84
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    lol, Sorry Manky thats classic college text book answer, my experience is realworld, not bookworld, the term "Machine thread" is applied to the general terminology for all threads, be it bolt, nut, screw, lightbulb etc etc, yes they are machined, but they are Called (In the trade) Machine Threads, more as a name than a description, I guess an analogy would be calling your vehicle your "Mota" which classifies all model types, vans, cars, trucks etc.

So it comes down to the old thing of "everything from a book" vs "On site practical experience"

But I can see how it was missinterpreted, altho I think really, thruth be known Cheese knew what I meant

Jonno
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 11-10-2004 at 01:00 AM. Reason: 12 spelling mistakes :lol:

5. Lounge   -   #85
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Heh heh..

You guys are talking about nuts.

6. Lounge   -   #86
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    lol, Sorry Manky thats classic collage text book answer, my experience is realworld, not bookworld, the term "Machine thread" is applied to the general terminology for all threads, be it bolt, nut, srew, lightbulb etc etc, yes they are machined, but they are Called (In the trade) Machine Threads, more as a name than a description, I guess an analogy would be calling your vehicle your "Mota" which classifies all model types, vands, car, trucks etc.

So it comes down to the old thing of "everything from a book" vs "On site practical experience"

But I can see how it was missinterpreted, alstho I think really, thruth be known Cheese knew what I meant

Jonno
    It comes down to being correct or incorrect in the words we use.

I choose to be correct. You can choose to be incorrect if you like.

The generic term is machined thread. People who don't care about using the correct term say machine thread - maybe because it trips off the tongue more easily or maybe they don't think it's important to include the extra d because it will be understood anyway.

However, when written it is important to include it as the written word is subject to more scrutiny than the spoken word.

If you look on the sites of people who actually know what they are talking about, bolt retailers, they will all write machined thread however if you were to go there and speak to them you'd probably get away with verbally using the incorrect machine thread.

We are using the written word rather than the spoken word so I'd say it is better to use the correct 'machined thread' rather than the incorrect and verbally lazy 'machine thread'.

As stated, feel free to be incorrect. I just prefer to write such that others will be able to understand what I mean.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Lounge   -   #87
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

The generic term is machined thread. People who don't care about using the correct term say machine thread - maybe because it trips off the tongue more easily or maybe they don't think it's important to include the extra d because it will be understood anyway.

However, when written it is important to include it as the written word is subject to more scrutiny than the spoken word.

If you look on the sites of people who actually know what they are talking about, bolt retailers, they will all write machined thread however if you were to go there and speak to them you'd probably get away with verbally using the incorrect machine thread.

We are using the written word rather than the spoken word so I'd say it is better to use the correct 'machined thread' rather than the incorrect and verbally lazy 'machine thread'.

As stated, feel free to be incorrect. I just prefer to write such that others will be able to understand what I mean.

I'm tired and drunk but are we getting into the realms of colloquialisms?

Edit: Probably not, but I love that word. I going to be a colloquialism when I grow up.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 11-10-2004 at 01:20 AM.

8. Lounge   -   #88
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Quote Originally Posted by manker

Wow. How literally correct of you. I dare you to show up on a building site and say that to the boys who say "machine" as opposed to "machined". That is, if the need to be correct and righteous moves you to such an extent. Perhaps you'd like to bring your dictionary with you to prove yourself right?
    Last edited by NikkiD; 11-10-2004 at 01:23 AM.

9. Lounge   -   #89
    Ok Manker, to try and get you to understand have a look Here!
    These screws are used for many things, from gate fixings to engines, they a called Machine Screws because they have a Machine thread as oposed to a cut thread used for wood, plaster, plastic etc

Like I said, real world vs bookworld, you walk on site spout Book terms and you'll get clouted with a shovel

Jonno

10. Lounge   -   #90
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD
    Perhaps you'd like to bring your dictionary with you to prove yourself right?

I remember a lad turning up and at lunch he sat there reading a book, the boys nailed it to the floor

Jonno

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast