Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking...

Poster
    First my spec: P4 2.4, 512ddr333, 60gb HD, geforce4 mx440 etc.

I was reading sum articles in Toms Hardware about over clocking....

So I decided to mess around in the bios with the FSB speed (I think ), and when I reset it said I had a 3.6ghz and of course it didn't let me get past the bios screen. So I went back and turned it down a bit and when I reset I had a 2.8ghz that it let me boot up with B)

But once I got on, loads of programs wouldn’t work like Kazza, counter-strike, anti-virus software and a few others. The only thing I could think was causing this problem is when my HD was formatted or when the programs were installed they used my current clock speed some were in the install and so now would not work. Is this making any sense to any1???

A few questions 2 any1 who can b arsed 2 read this,
    What will be the highest clock speed I’ll b able to get with my processor?
    If I do overclock will I have 2 re-format my HD?

thanx 2 any who replys

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Lord of the KLF
    ok well there is no definitive max clock speed for your cpu, everyone is made slightly different, different imperfection here and so forth.

Now the reason why some of the apps arent working is that your cpu is not stable...u overclocked it too much (u may have damaged it with the first overclock attempt - ALWAYS GO IN SMALL INTERVALS UP WHEN OVERCLOCKING.

If the cpu is not damaged make sure that you are using sufficient cooling for it to work and stay stable at those temps.

And no u do NOT have to format your HD after over clocking

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    when trying to overclock ur cpu ushould up it a little at a time till u start having probs when u notice probs go back and set it too the next lowwer speed

Note over clocking ur cpu is vary dangerus u can fry the cpu vary easly and it will decreace the life of ur cpu no matter what

unlesss u got the money too spare for a new cpu id sugest u dont overclock the little bit extra that u can get is not worh it in the end this is a hobby for somone with cash too spare and only for the thrill of geting a bit more out of the cpu not for genral use

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    ahh okay, thanx for the reply guys

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Do not overclock a Pentium processor. Intel specifically designs their processors to counteract users from doing this. You will damage your processor.
    AMD is a whole different ballgame though. They seem to encourage overclocking.
    Try overclockers.com for more info.

Good luck with it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by harrycary@26 March 2003 - 13:43
    Intel specifically designs their processors to counteract users from doing this. You will damage your processor.
    AMD is a whole different ballgame though. They seem to encourage overclocking.
    Who told you that?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Leo Laporte and Patrick Norton on TechTVs "The Screensavers" show.
    I've also just read that Intel is working on adding a feature to their CPUs that will lock the clock speed to make it impossible to override.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    I've got to add that overclocking a CPU is an exercise in futility. There are other throughput issues that affect your computers' performance(e.g. PCI/AGP/EIDE bus speeds). These need to be resolved by the mobo manufacturers.
    What I mean is, processor speeds, memory and video graphics have become so good, only a handful(sic) of users(let alone software/games) fully utilize what they are even capable of.
    Outside of that, the only reason to overclock is for bragging rights.
    Why do you think computer sales have dropped so dramatically?
    Because performance has plateaued. (witness all of the mfg. downsizing and laying-off of empoyees)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Well, alot of the stuff said on TechTV are opinions and rumors. I don't believe everything that say.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    opinion, rumors?
    this article shows the lengths that Intel will go just to stop users from overclocking their processors.
    I guess I am just an AMD fan as they are much cheaper and can be overclocked with much greater success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast