Thread: Microsoft & Xbox Live Banning

Rip The Jacker's Avatar Retired
    Ever since Xbox Live came out officially, people who accessed Xbox Live with their modchip on were banned. Live detected the modified BIOS that was loaded, and the Xbox's EEPROM (the unique identity of each Xbox) was banned. However, their Xbox Live account was still safe. So, these banned users got a different EEPROM from various sources, and they were back onto Xbox Live. That has been the way for a long time, and was the way to get banned, unless you used a Xbox Live cheat or was a disruptive gamer.

However, until recently, it seems MS is taking extreme measures to stop people with modified Xboxes from accessing Xbox Live, even with their modchip off. It appears now that MS is banning modders who changed their HD from the way it was when their XBox was stock, to a larger HD or whatever. MS is detecting a change in the HD, and thus banning the Xbox. However, again, the modder's gamertag is fine, just that their Xbox is banned.

Source:
    http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=303762

I think its stupid. So someone decides to mod his Xbox, who cares, he still pays for XBox Live, and thats all that matters. You should be able to mod your Xbox, just like a PC.

2. Games   -   #2
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    You just have to get a secound xbox, thats the only way to work around it

3. Games   -   #3
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Smith
    You just have to get a secound xbox, thats the only way to work around it
    Who would want 2 tho?

4. Games   -   #4
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    someone with enough time and money

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

5. Games   -   #5
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    How could you think that is stuipid. It helps them make money so why wouldnt they
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

6. Games   -   #6
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    If it violates the agreement to Xbox Live at sign up then a STFU is order and you need another Xbox.

If it does not then demand a refund for your membership fee ($50-$70) because the banning absolutely has no legal standing whatsoever.

Futhermore this is rather fucked because if you sell your Xbox to another (like Gamestop or EB Games) then the person who buys it will be banned. Fucked up.

I say they should ban the gamertag or not do anything. Banning the actual Box is fucked up.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

7. Games   -   #7
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Don't you guys realise that when you go out and buy an X-Box, you don't actually own it, you just purchase a license to use it?

You pay Microsoft $ for the right to take their box home.
    Then you pay them more $ to acquire a license to play at least one of their game disks, which you don't actually own either...
    Then if you want to play their game online... yep! You pay again!

And thats the story of why uNz[i] gave up console gaming...
    Last edited by uNz[i]; 11-12-2004 at 08:31 AM. Reason: frikkin' misleading "I before E except after C" rule :P

8. Games   -   #8
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    thier=their

and yes, you are absolutely right. but that won't make me give up console gaming, fuck xbox live, not like i use it anyway. i'll stick to offline MP anyday.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

9. Games   -   #9
    i luv u xara
    Quote Originally Posted by uNz[i]
    Don't you guys realise that when you go out and buy an X-Box, you don't actually own it, you just purchase a license to use it?

You pay Microsoft $ for the right to take thier box home.
    Then you pay them more $ to acquire a license to play at least one of thier game disks, which you don't actually own either...
    Then if you want to play thier game online... yep! You pay again!...
    so... does that mean that lil' billy can come to my house and take my xbox away??? ... man ... reality sucks....

anyways... now that we are talking about live and xlink...

do you think xlink kai or xbconnect will be some day better than live???
    i mean when its just as popular as live....

or the fact that is free means that it'll never be as good as live...
    dude!!!
    la cucaracha, la cucaracha, ya no puede caminar...

- JOIN our fold@home team... ... something about genetics n' stuff
    -i just had a pm conversation with MYSELF!!!... ... ...wow... that's sad