Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Microsofts take on Firefox

uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Like my dear old mum says:
    There are none so blind as those who will not see.

And like a little boy said in the old story:
    The Emperor has no clothes!

M$ isn't in denial. They just suffer from arrogant self delusion.
    They also seem to be swallowing thier own hype.

Now they expect us to do the same. Sorry M$. In my case at least, thats not going to happen again.

The fact that Firefox won't let ActiveX controls run from within the browser is a huge step toward a more secure system.
    Would M$ be willing to remove that potential security risk from IE? I think not.

Firefox is surfing the web the way it should be. IE is for Windows update. Nothing more, as far as I'm concerned.

Now... back to learning Linux... and the sooner the better.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    English reiterated that features such as tabbed browsing are not important to IE users.
    That's somewhat true - Those people who would want it would rather go to Firefox or Opera than wait eons for IE to add it

Anyway, I gotta agree with what has been said - MS have always had their share of denial and delusion of self-importance for the past decade. Not that I'm complaining though - Their lack to do anything with IE during a time when Opera is taking IE's unsecurity as an opportunity to jump ship, and Firefox's hugely enthusiastic campaign will likely means that IE will continue losing its market share for the next couple of years.

Microsoft's overconfidence will hopefully be IE's folly

EDIT: Don't forget that both Firefox and Opera don't just run on Windows
    Last edited by Illuminati; 11-12-2004 at 11:13 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Can I just say, I installed Firefox today, after being a happy IE user for many years, I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

The fact that it automatically imports the IE favourites, cookies, passwords, etc, was a real nice feature. And they've actually implemented FavIcons so they work.

Within 5 minutes I had made it my default browser.

Firefox is everything a browser should be. 'Nuff said. It should be compulsory!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Personally, I am always taken aback with topics such as this one and its responses. I've used Firefox in the past and I'll be honest, I freakin hated the thing. I can actually say I was disappionted from the first moment I opened it.

The fact that it automatically imports the IE favourites, cookies, passwords, etc, was a real nice feature.
    The google toolbar does this as well if you want it to.
    Last edited by Skizo; 11-19-2004 at 04:22 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Personally, I am always taken aback with topics such as this one and its responses. I've used Firefox in the past and I'll be honest, I freakin hated the thing. I can actually say I was disappionted from the first moment I opened it.

The google toolbar does this as well if you want it to.

Yeah? You must be in the minority.

I'd never go back to IE after Firefox. Once you spent 10 mins setting it up, adding your extensions and plug-ins its magic

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    its ok if you don't like it, to each their own, but for what reason ?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry
    its ok if you don't like it, to each their own, but for what reason ?
    First of all, I like things simple. IE does everything I need it to and have ever wanted it to. I have never once said, "Damn, I wish IE could do....."

I don't like the "bells and whistles" of MF (the tabs, etc).

Listed in my 'favorites' I have nine folders and each folder has anywhere from 10-40 shortcuts. When I dl'd MF, it took every shortcut in the 'favorite' folders and listed them all together outside of the folders and in alphabetical order, then decided I needed some other shortcuts in there (to sponsored websites I'm sure). Needless to say, within 60 secs of installing MF, I was red in the face.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Its pretty easy to reset it up though in the manage bookmarks section, you can even remove the ones they have as standard if you so wish.

But if you didn't like it you didn't like it. I was hooked afer about an hour on it though. It does take a little while to get it set up exactly how you want it, but thats what I like about it, you can set it up exactly how you want
    Last edited by DanB; 11-19-2004 at 05:08 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    iMartin's Avatar ♥Home Grown♥ BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    ...saying it is no less secure than any other browser and doesn't lack any important features.

Bull. Shit.
    Last edited by iMartin; 11-19-2004 at 06:29 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    To each their own. Here's 1 point among many for my circumstances. I have dialup for 2 reasons: money ($5.95/mo vs. $45/mo) & security.

Firefox loads pages 5x-10x faster than IE. Pretty simple really.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast