Thread: Emule Plus Ed2k Links

I was fiddling with settings in Emule plus and clicked on the ED2K button (General tab in preferences), because it said it was "recommended". Now it's greyed out so I guess it's a one time thing. Anyone know what this is or what it's purpose is?

I've read all the FAQ's on Emule's and Emule Plus' site and quite frankly, they're pretty lame. They are vague and don't give me any idea of what would be good settings. I'd like to boost speed and performance, but I see no good explanations to help figure out what to do.

Anyone experienced with Emule plus and know what good settings for a 24/7, cable, XP box would be? I am behind a router and have Zone alarm pro so I get a low id, but I have no intention of lowering my firewall to get a higher ID. (I seem to upload and download okay in spite of the low id, just rather slowly)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    That button, is to allow emule to accept quick links from sites such as www.sharereactor.com, so you don't need to search for them it just adds them automatically.

You need to ditch the low id thingy or you will get pretty slow downloads.

I know from my own experince that windows firewall had to go

But I to use ZA Pro, with no problems.

Dosen't emule plus have a sort of wizard thingy....in preferences>connection>profile....I just found the one that best suited my connection.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by Colt Seevers@28 March 2003 - 14:55
    You need to ditch the low id thingy or you will get pretty slow downloads.

I know from my own experince that windows firewall had to go
    Wrong. I use WinXP, and the included firewall. You need to head over to emule's website, and read the tutorial on how to open up ports and configure the firewall. I use WinXP, a cable modem, and the firewall, and I have a high ID.

The router that you are behind may cause you problems, but that's a hardware issue, not a software issue. Try to get out from behind the router, and get yourself a direct connection to the internet.
    Proud member of MDS

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    That's the problem. I can't get out from behind the router without disconnecting the rest of my LAN from the internet. I got tired of being ripped off and having to pay 10 extra bucks a month per additional IP and decided to get a router and share one IP across the whole LAN.

I've looked at the suggestions about configuring the router and it won't work for me. I don't think my router is all that user friendly. It seems rather dumb. When I have kazaa and emule running it won't allow me to access my LAN. I have to cut them off to transfer files to another computer. Buggy thing.

I guess I'll just have to keep trying to find a work around. Thanks for suggestions.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Originally posted by Jibbler@29 March 2003 - 00:35
    Wrong. I use WinXP, and the included firewall. You need to head over to emule's website, and read the tutorial on how to open up ports and configure the firewall. I use WinXP, a cable modem, and the firewall, and I have a high ID..
    Yeah, thats good for you. But not for me.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    what kinda router do you have??
    For mine (i have a linksys befsr41) what they said to do in the emule faq worked fine for me

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    like a sig for FT but this is a sorta sig for emul(etc...)

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    I have a Belkin 4 port F5D5230-4.

To give myself a high ID I'd have to put my computer into the DMZ, outside of the firewall and make it vulnerable to attack. I know how to do it but I have no intention of doing it.

I'm trying to figure out if there's at least a way to forward the ports so that they appear open, but so far I've found nothing in the manual about this. I'll search the web and see what I can find.

I do connect just fine and can upload and download. Right now I'm uploading at 37.70 (19 transfering,427 waiting) and downloading at 10.03 (6 tranfering, 65 in the queue). I also have Kazaa-lite running (uploading to two people and downloading two files with 64 others searching) and I'm surfing. Maybe that's not so bad.

Truthfully, I know Emule is rumored to be slow and I'm wondering if I'll even see any increase in speeds if I did manage to get a high ID. What kind of speeds do you guys/girls get?

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by Colt Seevers+28 March 2003 - 20:27--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Colt Seevers @ 28 March 2003 - 20:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Jibbler@29 March 2003 - 00:35
    Wrong.&nbsp; I use WinXP, and the included firewall.&nbsp; You need to head over to emule&#39;s website, and read the tutorial on how to open up ports and configure the firewall.&nbsp; I use WinXP, a cable modem, and the firewall, and I have a high ID..
    Yeah, thats good for you. But not for me. [/b][/quote]
    I was just trying to point out that it can be done. Too many people blame Microsoft for making a bad operating system. When things are configured correctly, it works like a charm.
    Proud member of MDS