Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linksys Port Forwarding , Major help please.

Formula1's Avatar Poster
    I went to this site to learn how to port forward my linkys router.
    http://www.portforward.com/linksys/...tforwarding.htm

When i went there it seemed that the directions where a little bit hard for me to understand and i couldnt go along with the images probably because the images where out of date (the placements of button and names of buttons where different when i went here , http://192.168.1.1/ ) Please if anyone could give me a good n00b guide or atleast a guide with more/updated corresponding images , i would greatly appreciate this.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Retired
    what type of Linksys are you using maybe your reading the wrong guide

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    A Wireless B , Model BEFW11S4

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    This is how exactly the images/buttons are set up like, when i look at them (i got this from a website)

Last edited by Formula1; 11-11-2004 at 11:35 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Retired
    if you enter the correct IP it's a piece of cake...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    I dont know the correct ip adress , i put the default , which is the exact same one that displays in the image , and also in the boxes i put the following texts.

"Application" Box - Apss
    Start Box i Put - 10000 (because thats what it say in my bittornado preference list)
    End Box - 60000 (what it said in bittornado prefs)
    Protocol - TCP
    Ip adress - exact same thing it says in that image

I checked the enable box , and clicked save settings.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    You have two options.

The first is to change your pc to use a static ip address. If you don't do this it can change and you will have to change your port forwarding when it does. In any case the address shown on the web site is only an example, it is unlikely to be the same as the address of your pc. Once you've set up a static address you will know what to put in that box.

The other alternative is to make sure you have UPnP installed on your pc. You should then be able to use that to make sure that your router and pc are always in sync, even if you use dynamic ip addresses. I haven't used UPnP myself so I can't give you any further pointers on that route.

In any case, you should not be using ports 10000 to 60000 for bittorrent. At most you need 1 port for each active torrent, and you should not open more ports than you actually need. I think it was telling you to pick a number (perhaps 10) of consecutive ports somewhere in the range 10000 to 60000, not the whole range.
    Last edited by lynx; 11-12-2004 at 12:24 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    You have two options.

The first is to change your pc to use a static ip address. If you don't do this it can change and you will have to change your port forwarding when it does. In any case the address shown on the web site is only an example, it is unlikely to be the same as the address of your pc. Once you've set up a static address you will know what to put in that box.

The other alternative is to make sure you have UPnP installed on your pc. You should then be able to use that to make sure that your router and pc are always in sync, even if you use dynamic ip addresses. I haven't used UPnP myself so I can't give you any further pointers on that route.

In any case, you should not be using ports 10000 to 60000 for bittorrent. At most you need 1 port for each active torrent, and you should not open more ports than you actually need. I think it was telling you to pick a number (perhaps 10) of consecutive ports somewhere in the range 10000 to 60000, not the whole range.
    Alright thanks , so would 6881-6889 be good to put in the ports list for bt ?

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula1
    Alright thanks , so would 6881-6889 be good to put in the ports list for bt ?
    yep those are the ones i use and it works perfect.

make sure you use a static IP like lynx said. if you have dynamic then wwhenever your IP changes you will need to forward the ports again.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    You can see what the IP is by clicking the DHCP tab and then DHCP Clients table. Your PC should be listed there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast