Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 139

Thread: Saving Private Ryan

  1. #1
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    the other chair
    Posts
    899
    Some stations are refusing to air Saving Private Ryan tonight. They are claiming fear of FCC fines, "bad" words, etc. This movie has aired on TV twice before. Amazing. I think the truth is, the opening scenes are extremely graphic...they show horrendous injuries, and a pretty realistic picture of war. I think they don't want people to see it..you know, the whole..demoralizing thing.
    I think this is an insult to Veterans, and people's intelligence.
    Don't read what isn't there.

    anywhichway

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    Surely they could have shown the "sanitized" version for those who won't face truth?

    Mind you, a 15 minute movie isn't going to be much use at holding their attention, it's far too long.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    the other chair
    Posts
    899
    LOL. The agreement with Spielberg is absolutely no editing. I've read several news reports, and they do cite the Iraq war as one of the reasons.
    Don't read what isn't there.

    anywhichway

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    hippychick's Avatar Memo, what memo? BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    In a State Of Confusion
    Posts
    3,506
    The station here says there not airing cause of the fear of FCC, realting to the Janet Jackson scandel.
    I feel its an insult to the Veterens...my God there are over 100 stations if you dont want to watch it, change the station!!!
    All this policaly correct stuff...WTF

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by CNN
    Janice Wise, spokeswoman for the FCC's enforcement bureau, said it had received calls from broadcasters asking if the film would run afoul of the agency's indecency rules. Wise said the commission was barred from making a decision before the broadcast "because that would be censorship."
    "If we get a complaint, we'll act on it," she said.
    So broadcasters have to take a chance..that nobody will complain... seeing as this is a land that burns Harry Potter books i guess nothing can be shown without risk.....

    itís an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Comic_Peddler's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    256
    It's a friggin' movie, get over it. If you want to see it, rent it, buy it, or download it. The thought of this will not cross your mind in a month. Maybe the next time they don't show the Simpsons because of some football or baseball game I should bitch and moan as well.

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Sanctuary!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    in a chair
    Posts
    221
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic_Peddler
    It's a friggin' movie, get over it. If you want to see it, rent it, buy it, or download it. The thought of this will not cross your mind in a month. Maybe the next time they don't show the Simpsons because of some football or baseball game I should bitch and moan as well.
    Tell you what, when they don't show the Simpsons out of fear of the FCC you can bitch and moan.
    Last edited by scroff; 11-12-2004 at 01:33 AM.
    Ancient Bush family proverb; Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day... drown him in the lake and he'll never be hungry again.

    Any Which Way.... because there's more to it than Fox tells you.

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,172
    Good Post and good point, Comic Peddler. Thanks

  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthie
    Some stations are refusing to air Saving Private Ryan tonight. They are claiming fear of FCC fines, "bad" words, etc. This movie has aired on TV twice before. Amazing. I think the truth is, the opening scenes are extremely graphic...they show horrendous injuries, and a pretty realistic picture of war. I think they don't want people to see it..you know, the whole..demoralizing thing.
    I think this is an insult to Veterans, and people's intelligence.

    Yes, how insensitive of the networks to think that peoples' children are in harms way at this second and it may not be in their interest at this time just to see how violently their children could die tonight.

    We can watch a movie about cancer and slow death, but we don't show this film to cancer patients.

    We must not show a movie blind of current events.

    Duh!

    And how does this insult anyones intelligence? Mothers don't want to see how their children may die tonight.

    In times of peace, these scenes are more abstract to the viewers.

    Are you not aware of this?
    Last edited by hobbes; 11-12-2004 at 01:44 AM.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Comic_Peddler's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by scroff
    Tell you what, when they don't show the Simpsons out of fear of the FCC you can bitch and moan.
    Fear of the FCC keeps you from seeing shows that simply are nothing but veiled porn, yet you make no grumble of this.
    Last edited by Comic_Peddler; 11-12-2004 at 01:39 AM.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •