Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting VHS

Quote Originally Posted by mini sparsely
    No, I got some real old classics. Movies that I doubt will ever be released on DVD. Unfortunately VHS don’t last very long and I don’t know how much time I have left.
    macrovision... it depends, sorta. i think some PC video capture cards recognize macrovision and scramble the picture, while some do NOT? as far as i know, none of the stand-alone dvd recorders will record a VHS tape that uses macrovision.

in either case, whether you have a capture card or stand-alone recorder, you should be able to get around the macrovision problem by feeding the VHS signal through a box called a "video stabilizer." try googling "stabilizer + macrovision" and you'll find plenty of these from various companies. i dunno which company has the best one though, since i only bought one many many years ago for doing VHS-to-VHS copies. haven't really kept track of 'em since then.

btw i think the term "video stabilizer" was coined merely to avoid explicitly saying that these devices were invented in order to remove macrovision protections. but aside from some of them possibly being able to make a slight improvement to the video quality overall, they really were made for the purpose of removing macrovision.
    Last edited by 3RA1N1AC; 11-25-2004 at 04:38 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12