Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Everyone keeps on about America

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    @Dan..... You guys all went on about america pollution, and you must realise that burning tyres is about as bad as it gets for pollution?

@Manker ..... Why not? I'm just saying what most are too afraid to, everyone is bashing the US because so many people are, but most are too afraid to say anything about the other countries, the ones which are the real threat.
    Why? Because it's rascist?......So what is slagging of America? Are they not a race?

Jonno
    I'm not touching it it for a few reasons. I totally disagree but I don't have a whole afternoon to waste, like I did yesterday - and it wasn't even you

You'll come up with things like that - slagging off a country's foreign policy is NOT racist. Think about it.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Define Powerful?
    Money?
    Weapons?
    Army's?
    Land mass?
    Followers?
    Fanatics?

What is powerful?

And the other countries have a major baring on our lives too, other nations in their way have just as much baring than the US

Jonno
    Economic and military might for a start, but it goes much deeper.

Other countries have a bearing on our life too but USA permeates our lives like no other country in the entire world.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 11-12-2004 at 02:20 PM.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    No, I said that slagging off the US is rascist, same as anything else, if I said that a country has a crap president and are mudereds and should'nt be allowed to do stuff, you would all say I was being rascist.
    I don't see the difference.

Still, you have the right to not want to participate I wont judge you for that.

These are my views, you either agree or you don't, I don't really care, but like everyone is moaning abuot the US, I'm moaning about them moaning about the US.

Jonno

Edit @Cheese .... Yes exactly, so why does no one ever moan about other countries which DO have major bearings on our lives?
    Last edited by Jon L. Obscene; 11-12-2004 at 02:24 PM.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Comic_Peddler's Avatar Poster
    Well, Jonno, I think part of the problem is, and I hate to use the term, but it is not "trendy" at the moment here. Discussing the plights in South America where drug lords rule certain governments doesn't really interest people because they haven't taken the time to learn of these things. It would take away time to find things on google to snipe about dealing with the U.S. so they will seem to be of the "intellegencia".

Another thing I find funny, is people talk say that the U.S. could completely cut itself off from the world and no one would really notice, yet at the same time they say how much their daily life is effected by the U.S.

I quess this would mean they would not be able to drink their Cokes and eat their McDonald's while they spew their hateful diatribes hopeing someone will think they are "smart".

5. Lounge   -   #15
    manker's Avatar effendi
    No, I said that slagging off the US is rascist, same as anything else, if I said that a country has a crap president and are mudereds and should'nt be allowed to do stuff, you would all say I was being rascist.
    To be fair, Jonno. I'd probably post a and say wtf.

Slagging off a president, foreign policy and whatever 'stuff' you didn't think GWB shouldn't be allowed to do is not racist.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    We do..

Just no one else has as much affect on my life..

I slag off Blaire often...

but Chirac, as an example, doesnt affect meas much, except by particularly stupid EU desicions...and then i slag them off...

I slag off Bush for stuff that affects me... I dont know about other stuff like "No Child Left Behind" etc..

I am concerned and affected by his Foreign, Environmental and Financial Polices though...so thats what i attack. If they had no affect on me and mine, i probably wouldnt give a stuff about what he was doing or who the President was...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic_Peddler
    Well, Jonno, I think part of the problem is, and I hate to use the term, but it is not "trendy" at the moment here. Discussing the plights in South America where drug lords rule certain governments doesn't really interest people because they haven't taken the time to learn of these things. It would take away time to find things on google to snipe about dealing with the U.S. so they will seem to be of the "intellegencia".

Another thing I find funny, is people talk say that the U.S. could completely cut itself off from the world and no one would really notice, yet at the same time they say how much their daily life is effected by the U.S.

I quess this would mean they would not be able to drink their Cokes and eat their McDonald's while they spew their hateful diatribes hopeing someone will think they are "smart".
    Please... Feel welcome to start a thread on Colombia...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Cheese's Avatar Poster

Edit @Cheese .... Yes exactly, so why does no one ever moan about other countries which DO have major bearings on our lives?

They just pale into insignificance in their impact when compared to the United States.

Can you think of any other country that has such an effect on us? Any other country that has brought us into a war, for instance?

I'm glad we have these threads because otherwise I'd never get the counter-view to the general anti-American feeling in this country. I could never find someone here who thought it was a good idea to re-elect Bush but yet I can come here and listen to their opinions.

I'm not a huge fan of the U.S. for a number of reasons though I avoid the "hateful diatribes" as much as I avoid McDonalds and coca-cola. I have my own opinions which I don't usually express on this board but I am fascinated by other people's veiws on this topic.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 11-12-2004 at 02:37 PM.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I can think of worse things for the enviroment than burning tyres. How about factories that have no limits placed on their polluttion?

10. Lounge   -   #20
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic_Peddler

Just going to post on this bit.

many Americans do have the opinion that the world needs us more than we need them, and it's often the same people with this attitude that champion the "cutting off " idea... "let's see the world cope then".

fact is we need the world. We could survive without it but not with the same level of "luxury" we enjoy now. We only became a superpower because of the benefits we enjoyed in our relationship with the world...trade and technology etc...
    Someone the other day ( i think it was the robbin williams thread ) suggested we don't buy oil from the ME...that will teach them a lesson.... but what if the ME suddenly refused to sell oil to us?...who do you think would be more at a disadvantage?
    Cutting ourselves off would be more detrimental to us than it would to the world. After all, some other country would benefit from the openings we leave behind.
    At the end of the day all that would be achieved by total lock down is inconvenience...life would go on with a bit of adjustment

To the thread point.

Personally i talk more about the USA because it is my country and if I can't look at my own country without a critical eye, what right do i have to look at others.
    The only way to make improvements in life is to admit imperfections and try to resolve them.
    I don't think the USA is evil...it is a great country with wonderful people....just sometimes we get things wrong.
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-12-2004 at 02:47 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast