Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Everyone keeps on about America

Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Then please to be explaining how it effects MY life? cos so far I see no difference

btw, thankyou all for input, very interesting

Jonno

2. Lounge   -   #42
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    @Vidcc ... I'm sorry I don't understand your post

Jonno
    Eddie izzard did a show in New York and started a piece about the NI peace talks, as the audience was quiet he asked "do you even know there are other countries"...... this thread being about why all the talk about the USA

not sure what the tour was called but worth a download.
    Last edited by vidcc; 11-12-2004 at 04:32 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Oh I see, sorry not as quick as usual today

Jonno

4. Lounge   -   #44
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Jon, think about it another way. What George Bush does affects you in ways that you might not see. Do you think that perhaps some of the decisions made by other governments are made in regard to what a superpower such as the United States would like to see done? You may not see how it affects your life personally, but many Englishmen went to fight in a war in Iraq that they didn't start, but were sent to fight in because of a decision by George Bush. Their lives, and those of their families, have been affected.

Interest rates, fluctuations in currency values, stock market dips - these are things which affect us all globally. The US being a wealthy country, and having so much money invested in so many things globally, does have a huge impact on these things.

Of course other countries impact these things as well, but on a smaller scale, so we may not notice them as much. It's the things that draw our attention that we tend to bitch about, and as others have said, when you make yourself (as a country) stand out in the forefront, you are more likely to have slings and arrows tossed at you.

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Good point Yes I realise that, again my original point was the seeming fear people have about saying anything good about the US.
    Yes the UK got involved, those who have lost their lives died for a cause, my heart goes out to them and their bravery is outstanding.

But to be blunt and take out the emotional side to it (this may sound worse than I mean it, please keep an open mind) when you join the army you must realise there is a chance of war, a chef does not become a chef and not expect to cut himself. You see what I mean?
    Please don't get me wrong on this, but it is a fact that a soldier signs up with the knowledge he may someday have to risk his life for his country.

The war imo was inevitable, it's been going on for years and like I said, it was them who invaded, the US and UK Retaliated.

Jonno

6. Lounge   -   #46
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Did you read the 2nd paragraph?

Its not all about the war

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    a soldier signs up with the knowledge he may someday have to risk his life for his country.
    Not because of someone that was told by God to invade another country..

That is the point Jonno.

Shame you cant see it yourself...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. Lounge   -   #48
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Jonno.

There is an equally valid argument to say that Al Qaida retaliated against The US' foreign policy in the only way they could. They did not drive planes into Central NYC on a whim.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. Lounge   -   #49
    @RF .... No, they were/are defending against people who are told by god.

A quick question if you don't mind (to anyone who reads) What do you think would have been the outcome if we had not invaded and after 9/11 they just quietly went looking for Bin Laden?

I'm curios

@Manker ..... Thats my point, we argue about stuff but just because we dissagree we don't go killing thousands of inocent people. It was a retaliation with brute force to someone who attacked the US , why did they attack the US? For what reason?

Jonno

10. Lounge   -   #50
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Yes, Jon, I understand that. The key words being "for his country". What is the specific reason that the UK is fighting this war? Because the US is fighting this war.

EDIT:
    A quick question if you don't mind (to anyone who reads) What do you think would have been the outcome if we had not invaded and after 9/11 they just quietly went looking for Bin Laden?
    They did. And they were completely justified in doing so, although they didn't do as much as they should have in this regard. I don't think anyone will argue that the US was justified in trying to find Bin Laden and bring him to justice. It was proven that Bin Laden was instrumental in the attacks. To what purpose did they invade Iraq? It has never been proven that Hussein had anything to do with 9/11. Or that he had weapons of mass destruction. Perhaps I'm mistaken on this second point though.
    Last edited by NikkiD; 11-12-2004 at 05:07 PM.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast