Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoking in Scotland

Poster
    Lynx......do you have a good link to a newspaper in Ireland? I would like one.

I can tell you from experience, as one who has smoked outside during a snowstorm...........you aren't out there long. I think the breathing of the cold air as you smoke doubles the nicotine to your brain!!!

But I have a very silly theory. Could some of the health problems attributed to smokers themselves be attributed to very cold air getting in the lungs due to having to smoke out in the very cold air? And that type of thinking is one very big rationalization, I know.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #42
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    If this was brought in England (and it will probably happen) I can still nip out the pub for a smoke outside though?

Bit of a bother but perhaps I'll smoke less on a night out.

What about beer gardens?
    Last edited by Withcheese; 11-14-2004 at 08:54 PM.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #43
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    If this was brought in England (and it will probably happen) I can still nip out the pub for a smoke outside though?

Bit of a bother but perhaps I'll smoke less on a night out.

What about beer gardens?
    Beer Gardens are exempt as far as I know.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #44
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Beer Gardens are exempt as far as I know.

Sweet.

I can see beer gardens getting popular even when the weather is cloudy and cold...

5. The Drawing Room   -   #45
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    I think this is a different argument altogether. However, for many the same would apply to alcohol. But given that neither is likely to happen soon (I think someone tried the alcohol ban with stunning failure ) I can't see it has much bearing on this discussion.
    But of course. I am trying to introduce a different view to the discussion, that of someone who is trying to stop smoking but finds it difficult because of the availability of cigarettes.

I did mantion in my post that I realise that the total ban view is biased but I hoped that despite this it may make some realise that if smoking was banned in public places then it would make the battle to give up smoking that bit more managable.

They will still wink at me from behind the counter in the Newsagents but I will not have it blown in my face while having a quiet pint or seven.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #46
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    But of course. I am trying to introduce a different view to the discussion, that of someone who is trying to stop smoking but finds it difficult because of the availability of cigarettes.

I did mantion in my post that I realise that the total ban view is biased but I hoped that despite this it may make some realise that if smoking was banned in public places then it would make the battle to give up smoking that bit more managable.

They will still wink at me from behind the counter in the Newsagents but I will not have it blown in my face while having a quiet pint or seven.
    But would you stay in the pub on your own while all your mates went out for a fag?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #47
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    But would you stay in the pub on your own while all your mates went out for a fag?
    I think I mentioned to you before but out of all the people who usually go out of a Friday or Saturday, there are probably only about 4 or 5 smokers out of 20 or so. An unusual percentage but ... ehh.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #48
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I think I mentioned to you before but out of all the people who usually go out of a Friday or Saturday, there are probably only about 4 or 5 smokers out of 20 or so. An unusual percentage but ... ehh.
    That is strange.

All my friends smoke. Yup, both of them.

But seriously my local almost everyone smokes (bar-staff included), will be very strange if none of us are allowed to. We'll have the whole pub standing in the street like chavs...

9. The Drawing Room   -   #49
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    So gays are not allowed in bars?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #50
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday

ah, you should know my memory isn't the greatest

I rescind the question then

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast