Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UK Online unveils 8Mb broadband

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw
    Thats exactly what crossed my mind too. one measly hour. i bet the contention ratio is well high & I bet the upload speed is still 256k as well even though they must know that their entire market is p2p users, I mean who the fuck wants webpages at 1MB/s

They should have a more expensive version (£45/50 maybe) with decent uplaod and no cap. I'm sure theres a fair few people who'd go for it
    Their contention ratio is set at 33:1 and upload speed is 400k.

I do agree with you in that who really wants websites at 8MB/s

They really should make a higher tariff if they point blank refuse to remove the capping.

Maybe £49.99 for uncapped 8MB/s service would be fair. But if you check out my petition - Japan were paying £20 a month for 26MB/s connections this time last year. Their telephone lines are exactly the same as ours.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3278375.stm

Now, with the latest tranche of upgrades taking the maximum download speed to a blazing 26Mbps - remember, this is still over standard telephone lines, just like in the UK - one can be forgiven for wondering why BT and its competitors are languishing in the slow lane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Boodry, Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein
    According to the IEEE, you could get over 50Mbps, theoretically, if your loop is less than one kilometre. In Japan, NTT has put a fibre feeder point within a kilometre of 80% of locations

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #22
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    the reason its cheaper in japan is that people are packed alot closer to the exchanges. meaning lots of people can get these speeds with next to no trouble. and you must of heard of economy of scale.

we will catch up slowly since we are also a relatively small country but the states are way to big to offer everyone cheap high speed internet.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #23
    All the money and pressure thats applied into stopping the digital divide rural / urban is slowing things as well. Its kinda stupid imo, obviously there'll be a divide in terms of what you can offer in heavily built up areas to spread out rural areas, its like saying theres a farming divide.

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #24
    lynx's Avatar .
    There's no logical reason why we shouldn't all have the fastest speeds the wiring is capable of supporting. It doesn't cost any more to have an 8Mb/s connection than it does to have a 512Kb/s connection. The equipment is already installed and working.

However, with higher speeds we are likely to use more bandwidth so there is some justification for a slightly higher charge. But since most of the cost is in infrastructure not bandwidth they are just using it as an excuse to have a nice little moneyspinner. Bastards.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #25
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    So we could all be having 50Mbps lines? Fuckin greedy ISPs!!

6. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by vivitron 15
    I would prob even pay for it
    Stop swearing in here!!

7. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #27
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I think the article is a bit misleading. I dont think its possible to get anywhere near 26 mbits per second over copper cable for any great distance. im guessing your local junction box has to have fiber cable run to it and then your copper cable can handle that much bandwidth since its only a short distance.

updating the old network we have will cost a lot and i think having BT dragging their feet over upgrading it is whats causing expensive bandwidth in the u.k

8. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #28
    Poster
    UK Online have now changed their terms and conditions to state the limit of 500GB a month, instead of 4GB a day. Looks like I'll be needing a new hard drive.

www.adslguide.org.uk
    Last edited by browser; 12-03-2004 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Insert Link

9. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #29
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Quote Originally Posted by browser
    UK Online have now changed their terms and conditions to state the limit of 500GB a month, instead of 4GB a day. Looks like I'll be needing a new hard drive.

www.adslguide.org.uk
    Yea. I just noticed that myself. I forgot to check back on this thread and was going to post this myself.

Is 16.66GB p/ day enough for ya's now? lol

10. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #30
    Poster
    Well. I hope they start releasing some good films in April...when I get the 8MB line. I can't wait!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast