Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BBC:" New claim on location of Atlantis"

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    I said no one knows..

I just think that Santorini is the closest match to what Plato said, and as such I think (and im no expert) that the Minoan Civilisation were the "Atlantians" that Plato was on about

There are underwater cities all over the world, and all parts of the world have myths of Cities sinking.. This fuels those that try and find Atlantis, even though to my mind, they may all be talking about different Civilisations.

Even today, Major Cities are often close to the Sea. It would have been even more important long ago, as the Sea would have been THE major source of Trade, which is needed to have a "Civilisation"... when the Seas rise, the Cities sink.
    Santorini may well have been the closest thing to what Plato said but as I have just demonstrated, Plato's Atlantean tale is mostly embroidered hearsay, so who cares - that is the point I'm trying to make.

That article mentioned Plato to justify a med theory - as protagonists of Mediterranian Atlanteans often do. It is the most esoteric source of Atlantean legend, granted, yet it is one of the least reliable. It's merits are easily rebutted by the glaring flaws contained within.

Plato's Atlantis is in no way comparable to Homer's Troy.

For me, if Atlantis existed there is no way it can have been in the Mediterranian. It is the advanced technology that makes the legend so intruiging thus there would have been artifacts to show this on mainland Europe/N. Africa since the Med is small and easily navigable by even flimsy craft.

Also the labels Atlantis and Atlantean are prevalent in discussions on lost civilisation papers and books for a reason, ya know
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    The Black Sea was formed about 7000 years ago when rising sea levels caused the Mediterranean to spill over what is now the Strait of Bosporus.

Maybe Atlantis lies on the floor of the Black Sea somewhere?

(Some speculate that this event is the basis of the myth of the Great Flood and Noah, in the book of Genesis..)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123