Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why 2 years?

Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4016645.stm

I think we can agree to disagree here as you have a habit of arguing points for the sake of it. The statistics seem to similarly disagree.
    I've never argued a point which was proven, I simply stated what I saw on the news. That link is an interesting read , thankyou

In answer to both Smurfette and Lynx , I've always said if they banned smoking it would cripple the gov economy and they would put the tax on other stuff like petrol.But that is wrong.
    At present the UK gov receives approx £8.2 billion per year from tobacco products.
    It costs the NHS approx £8.6 billion per year to treat smokers who have developed various illnesses.
    As for the underworld smuggling etc, yes that would happen, but then again, it's happening now. Tobacco smuggling costs the gov something like £3 billion per year as it is.
    So what is the cure?

I seriously think a ban in public will stop many people smoking, or at least cut them down, now surely the health of the nation is far more important than a few pubs?

Jonno

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    It costs the NHS approx £8.6 billion per year to treat smokers who have developed various illnesses.
    :
    Whilst that statistic is true, its also spin... I rather doubt that smoking causes Broken legs, collar bones etc..

And im quite sure that a number of those other illness's are also suffered by none smokers and have nothing to do with smoking.

If you only take the illness that is proven to be linked to smoking, then the figure drops considerably... especially when you also add in that smoking has only increased the risk of these other illness's, and that none smokers also suffer from them.

The Treasury makes a huge profit from Smokers, Drinkers and Drivers...

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    lynx's Avatar .
    Ratty, you beat me to it there.

It also needs to be remembered that if smoking stopped immediately sand consequently government income from tobacco also stopped, people suffering from smoking-related illnesses would still be around. But probably not for long since there probably wouldn't be enough money to treat them, or anyone else for that matter.

One other little point that seems to have been overlooked. People are saying that smokers can go outside. I hope there are going to be some good ash bins. I believe the current on-the-spot fine for littering is £50. Recently introduced. Coincidence? I think not.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Whilst that statistic is true, its also spin... I rather doubt that smoking causes Broken legs, collar bones etc..

And im quite sure that a number of those other illness's are also suffered by none smokers and have nothing to do with smoking.

If you only take the illness that is proven to be linked to smoking, then the figure drops considerably... especially when you also add in that smoking has only increased the risk of these other illness's, and that none smokers also suffer from them.

As I said, this is what I thought until last night, the nhs spend approx £8.6 billion per year on "Smoking related treatment" , I'm afraid the overall amount spent is more than 3 times that.

The biggest problem I see with a complete ban would be the sudden influx of sevierly ill people.
    I'll give you an example.
    Someone who is 75 and has smoked for 50 years and has breathing problems etc just stops smoking, their body will reject that intensely and they will in actual fact become worse. I know this thru experience.
    So it's possible the a complete ban would have an adverse economic effect and actually cost the nhs MORE than it is spending now. But that would be short term.
    If we look forward far enough, a complete ban on smoking would irradicate so many things.
    Unfortunately given humanities history, no doubt something else will come along to match it in severity.

Jonno

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Smoking Related illness costs £1.5 Billion per year

Source

Plus, just because its illegal, does not mean people will stop... or no one would be smoking Dope

This "Smoking Related Illness" includes things like illness from people that used to smoke and dont any more.. ie: "Related". This wont stop, as there are millions of smokers currently

The money that the Government received in Duties alone in 2002-2003 was £8.055 Billion... thats a profit of nearly £6 Billion.

Source

That profit excludes the amount it makes in VAT, Corporation Tax on the Tobacco Companies and Income Tax on the Tabacco Company Employee's etc...

You work out the math
    Last edited by Rat Faced; 11-17-2004 at 11:35 AM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cac...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cac...hl=en&ie=UTF-8

It would appear you're right RF

I shall be emailing the BBC for misleading information on the news last night

The woman stated

£8.2 billion in revenue and £8.6 spent on smoking related illness

They lied the bloody news lied to me

Jonno

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Now add in the Corporation Taxes and Income Taxes of all those involved in SELLING Tobacco.... and Taxes on investments.....

Its Big Money mate

The Government will nudge people to give up smoking, just for the look of it.. they dont want them to though

The NHS does, but their advertisements are there to fullfil its mandate... notice none of those ads are from the Government themselves... just the NHS and the Charities

The Government iDepartments will pay for advertisements that are popular... eg: Direct Payment for benefits etc... but not stuff that actually COSTS them loss of income

Maybe im getting a lil cynical in my old age

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene
    They lied the bloody news lied to me
    It's not on.

Who do they think they are, Tony Blair?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless

It's estimated that it costs the NHS up to £3bn a year to treat problems relating to alcohol abuse too... I think this takes into account alcohol-related illnesses and the results to alcohol-related violence, accidents, etc.

Alcohol is another huge money-spinner for the Government, which causes far more social problems that smoking.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Now add in the Corporation Taxes and Income Taxes of all those involved in SELLING Tobacco.... and Taxes on investments.....

Its Big Money mate

The Government will nudge people to give up smoking, just for the look of it.. they dont want them to though

The NHS does, but their advertisements are there to fullfil its mandate... notice none of those ads are from the Government themselves... just the NHS and the Charities

The Government iDepartments will pay for advertisements that are popular... eg: Direct Payment for benefits etc... but not stuff that actually COSTS them loss of income

Maybe im getting a lil cynical in my old age

Oh I agree dude, the only thing that changed my mind was what I saw on the news last night.
    I've always said smoking would never be banned cos the gov can't afford it to be.
    If it was banned all these people would be delighted but what they don't realise is that the revenue lost from it would be put on other things, most likely petrol and other stuff people NEED and have no choice in buying it.

which ever way you look at it, as always the people will pay.

@Lynx ..... Moira Stuart I think

@CM . ......Alcohol is a major problem, but the actual health risks are fewer than smoking, the majority of alcohol related nhs spending is thru accidents and fights etc.
    Also you're correct in saying the revenue is high, I do know that there is actually 300% duty on wine alone. thats a lot of revenue.
    But having said that I think something like 60% of petrol is tax, we're simply over taxed.
    The worst being car tax.
    Annual income = £5.2 billion
    Annual Opperating costs = £247 million

Source

Iactuallythought it was higher than that but anyway, what happens to the other 4.9 billion?

Jonno

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast