Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US not alarmed by Russian development of nuclear missile

Keikan's Avatar ........
    The Bush administration says it is not alarmed by Russia's announcement it is developing a new nuclear missile. Russian President Vladimir Putin says the program is part of efforts to improve Russia's armed forces.

U.S. officials are not expressing any surprise or alarm over President Putin's decision to develop new nuclear missiles.

State Department spokesman Adam Ereli says the Russian plans fall within the framework of the Moscow Treaty, which calls for the mutual reduction in strategic offensive weapons.

"So we do not perceive Russia's nuclear sustainment and modernization activities as threatening," he said. "And, what they are doing are fully consistent with our mutual obligations under the Moscow treaty."

Pentagon officials say they are not alarmed either and will wait to see what is actually developed.

President Putin told a meeting of senior military leaders that Russia cannot ignore international terrorist threats or the need to develop new defenses.

"We will continue to build our armed forces and its nuclear components," Mr. Putin said. "And they should be put into service in the next few years. He added that the new missiles would be unlike any used by other nuclear powers. "

Mr. Putin did not provide details.

His speech comes a few days before the Russian leader's meeting with President Bush in Chile during the Asian Pacific Economic Cooperation conference.

Victor Kremenyuk is Deputy Director of the Institute of USA and Canada Studies in Moscow. He says the new missiles do not pose a threat to the United States.

"First of all I think that this is something which should be trusted because, yes, the Russians have the possibility to develop new types of weaponry in the strategic area," he noted.

Mr. Putin's plans are seen as part of his effort to rebuild Russia's military might, which deteriorated after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Russia's defense minister has talked recently of plans to test-fire a new version of its light-weight ballistic Topol-M missile soon. Russia is also reported to be developing a new generation of heavy nuclear missiles that could carry up to 10 nuclear warheads.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english...ent_392722.htm
    Ohh noo!!! I make dribbles!!!

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    They're probably not worried because they know all their top nuclear scientists have moved to North Korea or Iran..

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    they already have enough to blow us to shreds...once you get past that point a few more make no difference.

We are developing new nuclear weaopons as well

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    maskawaih's Avatar Custom User Title BT Rep: +3
    Americans MOAB is deadly enough.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    Quote Originally Posted by maskawaih
    Americans MOAB is deadly enough.

Damn right it is but that is still a conventional weapon.

Vid is right though. Both the U.S. and the Russian’s have a big enough arsenal to blow each other off the earth.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    crickey...hank posted

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    BigBank_Hank's Avatar Move It On Over
    I’ve been really busy the last few weeks. I have two friends that were in the hospital and I’ve been going back and forth. Sadly one of my friends had terminal cancer and passed away Monday. Its just kind of hard to post when you mind is somewhere else.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Sorry bout your friend, hank
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Likewise, Hank. Sometimes the wind always seems to head on with no respite or shelter.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBank_Hank
    I’ve been really busy the last few weeks. I have two friends that were in the hospital and I’ve been going back and forth. Sadly one of my friends had terminal cancer and passed away Monday. Its just kind of hard to post when you mind is somewhere else.
    Sorry Hank.

To hell with posting here man when stuff like that is going on.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast