Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canada's Martin Strips Parrish of Vote Over Anti-U.S. Stance

Interesting news form my country. What do guys think about this? I wonder what that Americans think about this?. If you get it check out the CBC for "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" this friday. I think it is on.

Nov. 18 (Bloomberg) -- Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin stripped Carolyn Parrish, a legislator who stomped on an effigy of President George W. Bush this week to show her disapproval of his policies, of her right to vote with the ruling party.

The step leaves Parrish as an independent member of Parliament and reduces the number of votes controlled by Martin's governing Liberal Party at a time when it's short of seats needed to form a majority government.

Parrish, who represents a district in Mississauga, Ontario, near Toronto has called Americans ``bastards'' and previously called Bush ``warlike,'' participated in a skit on the satirical program ``This Hour Has 22 Minutes'' in which she crushes the effigy under the heel of her boot.

``While I defend her right to express her views frankly, I cannot as leader of our party tolerate behavior that demeans and disrespects others,'' Martin told reporters at Parliament. ``There are more effective ways to make your case than those that she has chosen.''

Parrish's dismissal leaves Martin's Liberals with 134 deputies, 21 short of the 155 he needs to pass bills in the 308- seat House of Commons.

Check out:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...Y&refer=canada
    http://www.canada.com/news/national/...0-c4719608617b
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...55/?hub=Canada
    http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Edmont...05/701334.html

Carolyn Parrish Website: http://www.carolynparrish.parl.gc.ca
    Last edited by Ariel_001; 11-18-2004 at 10:23 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    This is unclear; if he is not stripping her of her vote, but defending what he feels are ideals emblematic of his party, then he has sent a chastising message with no effect other than to dissociate the party from her statements as re: Bush.

It would seem the rest is up to her; she can apparently still vote "with" the party if she chooses to stand on the principles by which she won election, or she can pitch a fit and complete her defection by opting for the label of the opposition, which might not sit too well with her constituents in Mississauga.

What do you think, Ariel?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    To remove the whip from a party member in a parliamentary system is a two edged sword. He has disassociated himself and his Party from her actions but she is free to vote as she pleases in the Parliament. Of course she is unlikely to vote with the opposition on much, if anything, because she would appear to be more radical than Mr Martin, not less. However, with the Party whips no longer counting her as one of their own she is free to push and prod her old Party from the sidelines and she will no doubt be courted if they need that one vote.

Mr Blair has done this to a couple of his more radical members - their constituencies having the gall to re-elect them against an official Blair candidate at subsequent elections. Fortunately for Mr Blair he has always had an enormous majority.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Fortunately for Mr Blair he has always had an enormous majority.
    not one word boab

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    For now I think If he strip Parrish of her vote then it may have a negative effect on Martin. I think the whole point is to dissociate the party from her statements and maybe as a warning to other members that may think of doing the same thing.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel_001
    For now I think If he strip Parrish of her vote then it may have a negative effect on Martin. I think the whole point is to dissociate the party from her statements and maybe as a warning to other members that may think of doing the same thing.
    This may seem an odd question, but are Canadian politicians queuing up to appear on satirical TV shows?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    This may seem an odd question, but are Canadian politicians queuing up to appear on satirical TV shows?

Perhaps. There seems to be lots of Canadian politicians appering on Canadian satirical TV shows. If you get it there check out "This Hour Has 22 Minutes". It is the best with the most politicians in my opinion.
    Last edited by Ariel_001; 11-19-2004 at 04:01 AM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Dennis is a good man. It will be interesting to see what happens with Gorgeous George.

There are a lot of satirical shows these days. I rather like one called Dead Ringers. The chap who impersonates George W is disturbingly realistic - his speech on Monday night regarding the death of Yassit Crackerjack and the effect of this on the Polyunsaturated people was err... touching.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Who the feck is this JPaul guy...

....the name sounds vagely familiar, but i cant quite place it

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    Who the feck is this JPaul guy...

....the name sounds vagely familiar, but i cant quite place it
    Never you mind, sir; put his drinks on my tab and sully him not.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast