Thread: IRQ sharing with xp pro sp2

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Can any explain to me how I can set up a pci slot so that it is'nt shared with any other piece of hardware, I have a problem with a capture card and most things leads to this irq sharing buisness, pinnacle are giving me online support via email but they keep skipping the shared irq bit just telling me it might be a irq problem but no answer to it, I've read my m/board manual and have an idea how to change it in bios settings but what should I change it too?
    This is a scanned page from the manual but I don't understand which are shared or in what sequence....

What is the best slot for the card to be in so its on its own bearing in mind that it is currently in slot 5, unfortunately some of the slots are no good without case modification.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Disabling the Gigabit lan device would leave slot 4 with an unshared interrupt.
    Disabling the SATA controller would leave slot 3 with an unshared interrupt.
    Disabling the Wifi slot would leave slot 1 shared with slot 5, which is ok if you only use one of them.

You probably have to disable the device in bios, not in device manager, but if the device is still detected you would have to disable it there too.

Why don't you explicitly ask the question "Do your drivers support shared IRQ"?
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    Thanks for replying m8 I was in a bit of a hurry with this 1 because I'm stripping the pc down this weekend (or was) and I want to put it together right, with ref to the "drivers supporting irq shares" to be honest I'm not sure what it meant so did'nt know what to ask so thanks for shedding some light on it, although I still hav'nt worked out how that table works The lan I can do away with as at the present I don't need it but the sata controller I will need when I put in my new HDD in, I've had info saying to use windows own drivers as xp drivers are only certified if they support irq sharing but pinnacle say I should use thiers which are'nt whql so I'm sort of stuck in the middle with that 1, my problems stem from an analogue capture card which keeps failing a test, I have done everything I can along the lines of shutting down other software and updating all neccassary drivers but pinnacle keeps coming back to the sharing irq issue which I know nothing about but when I rebuild the pc I would like to put the card in the right slot to save me all this hassle next time and if it does'nt work right then send the card back because so far its been nothing but hassle. So advice on the best slot to put the card in on the rebuild would be appreciated.