Thread: Need Help With Encoding

I want to make Vcd so i need to turn my Avi into mpeg.
    There is a few things i dont understand.

Im using TMPGEnc to turn avi into mpeg, but for some reason sometimes it wont encode sound.why??
    So i tried to use another prog to encode the sound separatly(i used avi2wav).

So far it seems it worked good.now im wondering if there's a way to encode the sound into mp3 instead of wav?wav is making my mpeg big.

Also i got this other avi movie which i didnt have to turn into mpeg to make a vcd.The file is clearly an AVI and all i had to do was using Nero to make vcd,no encoding needed,thats wierd.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    BANNED
    yeah one time I got somthing that was supose to be an AVI but it turned out to be an mpeg just check the extentions as for comverting to MP3 try cool edit Pro they convert wav to MP3 Hope this helps

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    BANNED
    first off u don't need to convert the wave to mp3 being a wave has nothing to do the size of ur final mpeg ,

some movies (avi&#39have the sound encoded using a variable bit rate or constant bite rate .If there (vbr) u need to convert the sound to wave because tmpeg do'nt support vbr so it cant read it (hence no sound)
    but if it's (cbr) u canjest convert to vcd without altering or coverting the sound b4 u use tmpeg or nero to vcd

if u use somthing like gspot it will tell u somwhere in the audio discreption if its (vbr) or (cbr) r thing a bit clearer now

ps if ur not happy with the size just decrease the bitrate settings, but u will lost a bit of quality as well

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    thx it helped.

so if i lower the bit rate the quality will be a bit lesser and they file will be smaller?

also i guess its normal that a 700mb avi file become something like 1000-1200 mbs when converted into mpeg?kinda sock because ill probably need 3-4 cds for each vcd i make.

Also i used Gspot on my avi and it doesnt tell me if its VBR or CBR.
    but i guess ill just use TMPGEnc and if it cant encode sound it'll mean i'll have to encode it with my other prog

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    BANNED
    m8 it sucks i know but thats just the way it is!

and average film 2 vcd do's take 2cd thats normal 1000+mb

and in gspot under audio format look at bitrate and it will say somthing like 128 kb/s (64/ch x 2 ch) CBR

btw if u like ,reply with ur email address i will make u some custom templates u can load in to tmpeg and they will set al the setting for u

arl do u a few
    like highest qualit posible
    amd some so u can fit a full movie on 1 cd

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    A little trick I use instead of converting the avi audio to wav. I use a program called "avi audio decompressor" it came with the program avi2vcd(dont't use avi2vcd poor quality)It decompresses the sound creating a new file with (_pcm avi) audio decompressed but video still compressed.I load this new file into Tmpgenc and it works ..It also tuns out smaller than the (_pcm avi) file B)