Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: What the F@#$%

  1. #1
    So I'm surfin the web, when all of a sudden, Norton anti-virus pops up "A trojan has been found, sorry couldnt stop it" 5 times back to back, I try and fix it, for 3 days, all it does is find more trojans. so I do a full restore, install Norton again, and.... found 47 trojans and worms. I go to House call virus check on-line, same thing, so within 3 days I did 5 full restores until I talked with a friend of mine who's a programer, he says " Take norton out of your system" so I do. since then not one F'n problem. It was norton all a long. it was almost like it was sucking in viruses instead of taking them out.

    So I have done a full restore, installed spybot, ad-aware and pop-up stopper, but I'm left with no anti virus. any1 have any suggestions to a good one I could DL? I dont want to use Shareazaa until I have at leased some kind of protection.

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,631
    reinstall Norton


    Norton isnt spreading viruses, trojans, worms or the like. If you downloaded the copy of NAV that you have, I would recommend purchasing a copy. If you did pay for it, call tech support, I haven't heard of this problem yet. They also have an extensive knowledge base here:

    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/

    I don't pay for software except for two things, I download it. The two I do pay for are OS's and anti-viruses. It's well worth the money.

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    fucking smurfland y'idjit
    Posts
    760
    So because Norton found all those nasties, and an online scan did the same, you think Norton put them there? I would imagine that when Norton's definitions were updated, they were then recognised and highlighted.

    If you think Norton's handling of them is bad, let me tell you I've seen worse; a friend called in an professional because she didn't want to bother me again (a month after I last went there!) and was charged 50 for him to install MacAfee, reboot a couple of times and declare the need for reformat and re-install. That's when I went round to find that he'd left MacAfee on there and every time Windows booted it found an infected file, then demanded the system was rebooted before anything else. MacAfee wanted to do this one file at a time.

    Whatever the reason, if you're after a top notch AV you could do worse than Kaspersky or NOD32.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    yeah, shouldn't blame norton antivirus for those files

    the reason u get all those msgs is because u did not turn off System Restore.
    believe it or not, those viruses could very well be residing in the system restore files, which is why u keep getting warning messages all the time.

    U have to turn it off so that norton can do its job.
    once it has clean them all off, u can turn System Restore back on.


    gildan2020
    Please be kind to the noobs...we were once them after all

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I did shut off system restore and I formatd the HD and restored from disk, and it was all coming back. I dont understand it

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Age
    46
    Posts
    709
    No anti-virus application (especially one as high up on the food chain as NAV) actually "places" maliscious content within and purposely infects a host system. NAV is designed and/or set by default to attempt to "repair" any infected files it comes across. If it cannot do so, it will quarantine the file, saving it in the process and then re-attempt to repair the file(s) after each subsequent "LiveUpdate" session. Thereby bringing everything back to your immediate attention.

    There are roughly "a million and a half" threads running rampant on these forums already with users comparing/contrasting his and her preferences, declaring which AV protection is superior over the other and so forth... They are lengthy and sometimes redundant reads however there is alot of good information within them if you take the time to search them out. You will get an idea of what is best suited for your needs.

    So far as your system is concerned though... with having that many "nasties" (I like that wording) plaguing you, I would not even bother with removing anything. Reformat and start fresh. Odds are that your system is so far taken over by this stage, that for every one "nasty" you kill, five more will take their place. Find a suitable AV program. Reformat and reinstall your operating system, and then put that AV application in place while making certain that it is up-to-date weekly with the latest virus definitions.

    Backing off on all the pr0n sites may also save you alittle grief as well... j/k.
    Last edited by Izagaia; 11-22-2004 at 08:31 PM.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    reinstall Norton


    Norton isnt spreading viruses, trojans, worms or the like. If you downloaded the copy of NAV that you have, I would recommend purchasing a copy. If you did pay for it, call tech support, I haven't heard of this problem yet. They also have an extensive knowledge base here:

    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/

    I don't pay for software except for two things, I download it. The two I do pay for are OS's and anti-viruses. It's well worth the money.
    I was an official paid for copy, I just didnt think it would cause so many problems

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Izagaia
    No anti-virus application (especially one as high up on the food chain as NAV) actually "places" maliscious content within and purposely infects a host system. NAV is designed and/or set by default to attempt to "repair" any infected files it comes across. If it cannot do so, it will quarantine the file, saving it in the process and then re-attempt to repair the file(s) after each subsequent "LiveUpdate" session. Thereby bringing everything back to your immediate attention.

    There are roughly "a million and a half" threads running rampant on these forums already with users comparing/contrasting his and her preferences, declaring which AV protection is superior over the other and so forth... They are lengthy and sometimes redundant reads however there is alot of good information within them if you take the time to search them out. You will get an idea of what is best suited for your needs.

    So far as your system is concerned though... with having that many "nasties" (I like that wording) plaguing you, I would not even bother with removing anything. Reformat and start fresh. Odds are that your system is so far taken over by this stage, that for every one "nasty" you kill, five more will take their place. Find a suitable AV program. Reformat and reinstall your operating system, and then put that AV application in place while making certain that it is up-to-date weekly with the latest virus definitions.

    Backing off on all the pr0n sites may also save you alittle grief as well... j/k.
    WELL STATED

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Age
    46
    Posts
    709
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconos
    I was an official paid for copy, I just didnt think it would cause so many problems
    Whether you actually paid for the software or not has no bearing on it's actual performance. Using an AV that you obtained through P2P or bought at your local Walmart does not change anything.

    Taking a wild stab as to what or where you may attempt to alleviate your problem: I have heard of alot of instances (even experienced one myself) where a user would reformat his/her system and then pick up a gazillion "nasties" the very moment they tried updating through Windows Update or attempted to register the OS product key through Microsoft's site. In which case they were using an early version of the operating system (one that did not have have any of the service packs or critical updates slipstreamed in). So if anything at all, so long as you are using Shareazza, you may as well see if you can obtain an updated version of XP (sounds like you are referring to XP). One that at the very least, contains SP1 already integrated into it.

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    24,069
    Yes that's one of the reasons i hate norton...lack of being able to remove viruses.

    NOD32 is my favorite but i haven't been able to crack latest version so i'm now using AVG which isn't too bad.

    kaspersky is good too.



    in teh future you should make your title a little more descriptive of the problem...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •