Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What the F@#$%

peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Izagaia
    Whether you actually paid for the software or not has no bearing on it's actual performance. Using an AV that you obtained through P2P or bought at your local Walmart does not change anything.

Taking a wild stab as to what or where you may attempt to alleviate your problem: I have heard of alot of instances (even experienced one myself) where a user would reformat his/her system and then pick up a gazillion "nasties" the very moment they tried updating through Windows Update or attempted to register the OS product key through Microsoft's site. In which case they were using an early version of the operating system (one that did not have have any of the service packs or critical updates slipstreamed in). So if anything at all, so long as you are using Shareazza, you may as well see if you can obtain an updated version of XP (sounds like you are referring to XP). One that at the very least, contains SP1 already integrated into it.

Good call! Rossco2004 And I were laffing sometime back , about a guide for using a older version of XP and the internet for the first time !

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    It is exactly as Izagaia states. "I have heard of alot of instances (even experienced one myself) where a user would reformat his/her system and then pick up a gazillion "nasties" the very moment they tried updating through Windows Update or attempted to register the OS product key through Microsoft's site. In which case they were using an early version of the operating system (one that did not have have any of the service packs or critical updates slipstreamed in)."

This is the problem. Not Norton.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    My brother in law mentioned my problem to a friend of his and he said that it might be that a virus entered my registry and is pretty much activated by installing antivirus software. if this is the case does anyone know how to scann the registry for this? I've done the on-line scan and it says that my system is clean, but Spybot always comes up with a "DSO Exploit" that it doesnt seem to be able to remove

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    I use Kav

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconos
    My brother in law mentioned my problem to a friend of his and he said that it might be that a virus entered my registry and is pretty much activated by installing antivirus software. if this is the case does anyone know how to scann the registry for this? I've done the on-line scan and it says that my system is clean, but Spybot always comes up with a "DSO Exploit" that it doesnt seem to be able to remove
    "A friend of a friend..."? Now you're clutching at straws.
    The DSO exploit problem that Spybot can't fix is not a virus, and is probably not any sort of malware - if it's to do with security settings in Internet Properties, it's a false-negative that Spybot is known to be prissy about and can't fix.
    If your system is clean, disable System Restore and install an antivirus.
    if your font size is this small i'll add you to my ignore list because you're wasting my time, OK?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconos
    Well... the thing is that once you wipe your harddrive clean and reformat (re-installing a fresh copy of your OS in the process) you are doing just that; "erasing all data on the current partition, including your registry, and replacing it with new code".

I do not know exactly how many partitions your system has or if it is possible for malware to actually "jump" from one to the other, but if you are installing an anti-virus application IMMEDIATELY after reformatting (even before registering the key with Microsoft, then I do not possibly see how your system could become infected like you are describing to reject that AV application. I just do not think it is possible for your system to become infected if you have taken every step to stay offline before you can put up a solid defense.

I suppose at this point, I would have to wonder if you are using a "true" copy of Windows XP or one of those bloated OEM versions (usually the case if you bought your system from a local retailer such as Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City...etc) which contain the OS and every crap piece of third-party trial, partial and half-assed versions of other worthless softwares bundled in on the planet? In which case, did you actually perform a "reformat" using the Windows CD or merely one of those "Quick Restorations" using a disk that came with your system which restore it to the factory settings?

Big difference between the two in terms of what you are actually placing within your system.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Izagaia
    Well... the thing is that once you wipe your harddrive clean and reformat (re-installing a fresh copy of your OS in the process) you are doing just that; "erasing all data on the current partition, including your registry, and replacing it with new code".

I do not know exactly how many partitions your system has or if it is possible for malware to actually "jump" from one to the other, but if you are installing an anti-virus application IMMEDIATELY after reformatting (even before registering the key with Microsoft, then I do not possibly see how your system could become infected like you are describing to reject that AV application. I just do not think it is possible for your system to become infected if you have taken every step to stay offline before you can put up a solid defense.

I suppose at this point, I would have to wonder if you are using a "true" copy of Windows XP or one of those bloated OEM versions (usually the case if you bought your system from a local retailer such as Walmart, Best Buy, Circuit City...etc) which contain the OS and every crap piece of third-party trial, partial and half-assed versions of other worthless softwares bundled in on the planet? In which case, did you actually perform a "reformat" using the Windows CD or merely one of those "Quick Restorations" using a disk that came with your system which restore it to the factory settings?

Big difference between the two in terms of what you are actually placing within your system.
    My ssytem was bundled with all the crap on the planet, I got it Compucenter here in canada. The norton is an official copy, I didnt DL it. My system didnt come with a disk at all, I had to make a restore copy, but I did it when my cpu was new. I actualy just went onto the symantec website and did a virus check with their on-line system, and I came out clean.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    I have to believe from what you are describing that the Norton application is 100% fine.

Just guessing, because I have one of those systems myself that included bundled OEM software, but the problems you are encountering are from elements within one of the applications that came as part of your package of pre-installed software. Each time you use your restoration disk to restore your system back to factory condition, you are merely placing the infected file(s) back within your system. I have an HP/Compaq system bundle that included a DVD+RW/CD+RW combo drive. Instead of coming with one of those "Quick Restore" disks which revert your system and the software back to the factory shipped condition, I was prompted to use the my combo drive and create my own. Even so, my system tested positive for malicsious wares right-out-of-the-box due to the additional third-party crap they bundled in!

Software that comes bundled-in with new retail purchased system packages, are not there because the software vendor decided to do you a favor or provide you with an extra service. They were packaged in primarily to sell you an ADDITIONAL product sometime down the road. Whether it be for a subscription service for a Symantec product or supposably "free" music downloads through iTunes or even an internet-based game. They track your movements and preferences and then attempt to make an additional sell. IMO, the logic is that you have just purchased a $400-$1200 PC setup, so they want to make you think that you need to spend more $$$ for an additional service/element that might appeal to you. You've spent the money once... you are likely to do so again.

These "nasties" are really nothing more than advertising wares and other elements used to direct you towards their products. And it is quite possible that these are what NAV, Spybot or any of the other scanning applications you have already used, is pointing out to you.

I would quite literally guarantee that if you obtained a retail copy of XP with SP1 or SP2 already integrated into it and used the CD you burned it onto to perform a "reformat" of your current C:\ partition... your problems would solve themselves. After which your biggest diliema would be locating the proper drivers for your hardware. Which you are likely to find easily on the PC manufacturer's website anyway.
    Last edited by Izagaia; 11-24-2004 at 07:23 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    RPerry's Avatar Synergy BT Rep: Bad Rep
    I just wanted to state that I too have run across a problem with a frsh reformat and install, the getting a virus as I was downloading ( or trying) my updates from windows update. I have learned to install my AV before connecting back to the web, also I activate windows default firewall. That keeps me from getting nailed by the blaster virus that still seems to be hanging around

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by RPerry
    I just wanted to state that I too have run across a problem with a frsh reformat and install, the getting a virus as I was downloading ( or trying) my updates from windows update. I have learned to install my AV before connecting back to the web, also I activate windows default firewall. That keeps me from getting nailed by the blaster virus that still seems to be hanging around
    I would see if slipstreaming the latest service pack with your copy of Windows (create a new Windows CD in the process) would solve the problem. Or perhaps locating a copy of the OS with it already tacked on though P2P.
    Last edited by Izagaia; 11-24-2004 at 07:27 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast