Thread: SB Live 24-bit

Poster
    i just got a sound blaster live 24-bit sound card...onboard sound doesnt amplify mic so i had to get a new sound card. anyways, i was wondering that i have disable onboard sound, how would i get the front panel audio connectors to work? I want both my headset and speakers to work at the same time w/o me having to reach behind my desktop and switching the plugs. The way im running it right now is that i have my headphones plugged into the "front" input and my speakers going into the "rear" input and going into my control panel and setting it as a 4.1 setup,this work great.....except when im in game, i cant hear anything behind me if i dont have the speakers on. anyways i can get both the speakers and headset working at the same time?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Elmo
    i just got a sound blaster live 24-bit sound card...onboard sound doesnt amplify mic so i had to get a new sound card. anyways, i was wondering that i have disable onboard sound, how would i get the front panel audio connectors to work? I want both my headset and speakers to work at the same time w/o me having to reach behind my desktop and switching the plugs. The way im running it right now is that i have my headphones plugged into the "front" input and my speakers going into the "rear" input and going into my control panel and setting it as a 4.1 setup,this work great.....except when im in game, i cant hear anything behind me if i dont have the speakers on. anyways i can get both the speakers and headset working at the same time?
    Firstly, I was getting tired of buying these cheap headsets where the mic would stop functioning after a couple of months, so I started looking around.

Now, I have a 5.1 speaker system on my PC and thought that if I was to get another headset with built-in mic, I might as well gets one that supports 5.1 as well.

I finally found the headset I was looking for at Play.com for £39.99. I've attached a few pics below.

The picture above is the amplifier. You basically plug in your cables from your bass unit into the amplifier, and another set of cables run from the amplifier to the headset, so you can run whatever you like at the time, speakers, headset or both.

If you are sure your headset is capable of delivering surround sound, go for the amplifier only, but if they don't I highly recommend the Medusa headset.

The mic is one of the best features of this headset. It's not some crappy plastic thing that doesn't go where you want it to. This mic goes anywhere. It's made of some very firm plastic that's easy to bend, but keeps it's position.

As for you quote "onboard sound doesnt amplify mic", I'm thinking you needed to go to Volume Control > Properties and tick the box for Microphone Boost. Standard on every Windows OS.

Hope this helps.

Samurai

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Some more pictures:

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    umm.....huh? lol

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Did you even read what I put down?

You'll need an amplifier. I also said that unless your headset supports surround sound you'll need to purchase one that does which is why I recommended one that I've recently purchased.

Still confused? Try here